Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Grant College Fees Question - Switching Course

Options
  • 24-09-2012 10:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭

Just a quick query

I'm a 2nd Yr European Studies student and am thinking of switching to a different course in the same college, starting at First Year (Hospitality and Catering)

Because its the same college will my maintenance grant be still ok from the City of Dublin VEC?

I'm also in receipt of BTEA

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

No - grants are not normally payable for repeat years - which in grant speak is what going into first year of a new course is. Usually there have to be evidence (detailed medical reports) of a serious illness to have a grant paid in such circumstances. You'd also have to get the college to waive tuition fees for the new course (first year at least) before the grant authority will consider it. Colleges usually require similar evidence of serious medical conditions before waiving fees but You should and go talk to them about it.

How did you manage to get a maintenance grant when you started a course in 2011/12 (as you're in second year) and have a BTEA? The changes in Budget 2011 (applied to people starting or changing courses in Sept. 2011) did away with having both at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Decade of Decadence

No - grants are not normally payable for repeat years - which in grant speak is what going into first year of a new course is. Usually there have to be evidence (detailed medical reports) of a serious illness to have a grant paid in such circumstances. You'd also have to get the college to waive tuition fees for the new course (first year at least) before the grant authority will consider it. Colleges usually require similar evidence of serious medical conditions before waiving fees but You should and go talk to them about it.

How did you manage to get a maintenance grant when you started a course in 2011/12 (as you're in second year) and have a BTEA? The changes in Budget 2011 (applied to people starting or changing courses in Sept. 2011) did away with having both at the same time.

I commenced my course in the academic year 2010/11, but was unable to sit my summer exams that year, so I sat them in May of this year and have just gone into second year.

I was approved for BTEA in October 2010, and got final approval for my Maintenance grant in March 2011.

I have heard that if you've completed first year of a course in a college you can into a course of the same level (level 8 in my case) in the same college but skip to second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry - I answered but then realised your case is more specific because you got the grant and btea. I don't know the answer but think you might lose the grant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Just to say by grant I only mean the fees to the college (is it 2.5k)?

Im not looking for anything else, just the college fees payment

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just to say by grant I only mean the fees to the college (is it 2.5k)?

Im not looking for anything else, just the college fees payment

I think you might lose it if you go back to year one of a course - not only that but you might have to pay full fees.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think you might lose it if you go back to year one of a course - not only that but you might have to pay full fees.

Oh ok, thanks for your help :) im sent an email to student finance, hopefully if they allow me to progress to second year I wont have to pay fees

Advertisement