Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Bath nxt wk, need help!! Jobs,house,bank acc, etc...

Options
  • 23-09-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi I'm moving from Ireland over to bath in the uk. Me partner is going to college and I'm hoping to get a job. I want to open a bank account and stuff, what id do I need over there, also whats the best places to look for rented houses. I'd like to get somewhere nice but not too expensive. I'm an artist myself and want to do something with adults who maybe have not had the best start in life. I'm open to doing anything initially.
    Any advice would be a great help,
    cheers!!
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Bath is lovely. Landed over myself this month last year, ended up in bristol because of work. Bristol is only 15 mins drive from bath.

Southgate is the main shopping part of the city. Milsom street is the "main" street of old.

Bath is a small city, i've always thought size wise it's like galway. The city centre is very expensive to rent in and good places go fast regardless of prices.

Gumtree and Spareroom are good for rooms/houses. BA1 is the north side of the river and BA2 is the south side. The city itself is well connected by buses, students live all over the city and get to the college by bus.

First thing to do is buy a SIM card/phone and get a UK number.

You'll have to ring the job centre and get an appointment to sit an interview to get a National Insurance Number. The Interview is in a job centre in Bristol, trains from bath to bristol run loads of times every day. INFO All you'll need is your passport and address.

Bank account is the same. Passport/Address and a few quid to lodge to open it.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Yes, Bath is a wonderful place to live..great character, beautiful buildings and lots of interesting things to see and do, both in Bath and the immediate surrounding areas.

Yes, accommodation can be expensive, but is reflected in the quality of life there and if you find work and there are two of you, I am sure it will be fine.

Worth your BF finding out if he is entitled to any allowance towards his rent also, or is he perhaps in Hall of Residence within the College at the moment?

Previous post covers all that is required of you in the first instance and what will follow will not present any problems.

Citizens Advice Bureau are also incredibly helpful, so don't hesitate to visit them during your orientating phase.

I lived in various parts of the UK over the years and can say without any hesitation whatsoever that those years were among my very best in every sense of the word.

Settling anywhere with an open mind and a good dose of optimism and a positive attitude helps enormously. You will find far more similarities than differences in your chosen country and I am sure you will be made to feel as welcome as I was. All depends on your own approach really.

I am sure that you will not find it a huge issue finding suitable employment, given your creativity and I wish you the very best with your new life.

Will you let us know how things went, as would be lovely to hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 halfmoon

Thanks for the reply, really nice of you to mention all the positive things it helps a lot. What is Hall of Residence within the College? Not sure what you mean. Could my partner be in for some kind of rental reduction??

Sorry for the confusion.

I am unsure of what the entitlements of students are in the UK now, but it is just something which would be worth looking into regarding rent.

I am sure that your partner will by now be more than familiar with all his entitlements, so this will not be an issue.

In some countries,students who are in full time study at a uni far from home, depending on their financial situation are entitled to assistance with rent.

This may not be the case in UK, but no harm in finding out whilst you are finding work.

Again, very best wishes.

Oh sorry... A Hall of Residence is accommodation inside the University Campus where students normally spend their first year.

Please do not quote me on any of this, as things change and the system may now be different, but again you can easily access this kind of info if needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement