Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM honors degree equivalent

Options
  • 23-09-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

I want to apply for Irish GEMs next year, but I'm a little confused when it comes to the required degree grades. I did my Bachelor in Germany, and I've looked practically everywhere and I still haven't found any information concerning the German equivalent of an Level 8 first class honors degree. I wrote the universities, but they only reply with some sort of general bs or send me back to the admissions page.

I'm sure there had to be someone before me who applied with a non-Irish degree, so any help/experience you could share would be extremely appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Woodie321

Hello everyone!

I want to apply for Irish GEMs next year, but I'm a little confused when it comes to the required degree grades. I did my Bachelor in Germany, and I've looked practically everywhere and I still haven't found any information concerning the German equivalent of an Level 8 first class honors degree. I wrote the universities, but they only reply with some sort of general bs or send me back to the admissions page.

I'm sure there had to be someone before me who applied with a non-Irish degree, so any help/experience you could share would be extremely appreciated!

Hi there,

Have a look at the National Qualifications Authority Ireland Website and go to the qualifications recognition service. They have an application form and if you send them certified copies of your degree and transcripts along with the application they will compare and equate your foreign (German) degree to that of the Irish Level for you. It takes about a month or so from what I hear and is a free service.

Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

Thanks for the tip Woodie, I'll definitely send them the copies!

For others who might look for this kind of info: I found out that you can send the copy of your Bachelor certificate to the Director of Admissions at UCD, who will then advise you if it's equivalent to a grade 2.1 or not. But personally, I think that the National Qualifications Authority might be a better approach, since, from what I see, it's a bit more official.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Woodie321

Thanks for the tip Woodie, I'll definitely send them the copies!

For others who might look for this kind of info: I found out that you can send the copy of your Bachelor certificate to the Director of Admissions at UCD, who will then advise you if it's equivalent to a grade 2.1 or not. But personally, I think that the National Qualifications Authority might be a better approach, since, from what I see, it's a bit more official.

No problem! I also tried they way you have mentioned here. TBH, the admissions office will advise you however, they can not actually comparably equate the qualifications and for example tell you... "you degree would be a 2:1 at level 8, etc etc. They basically give you there opinion on what level they think you're degree may be comparable to. And different admissions officers in different universities may have differing opinions on this. If you go to the NQAI they will give you a definitive answer on paper which you can then provide as evidence of you level of qualification to whichever university you hope to apply for

Advertisement