Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrie Sanders dead at 47

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

The South African who knocked out Wladimir Klitschko has been shot dead in an apparent robbery.
    Corrie Sanders, who held the WBO heavyweight title after knocking out Klitschko in Germany in 2003, died after a shooting incident near Brits, north of Johannesburg, on Saturday.
    Early reports on News24 and in Sunday newspaper Rapport said he died of a stomach wound after being shot during a birthday party at a restaurant. He was 46 years old.
    Sapa reports that Sanders died in Kalafong Hospital on Sunday.
    Police said he had been celebrating the birthday of his daughter when three armed men arrived in the restaurant and shot randomly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

R. I. P :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just saw this terrible news. And I had only mentioned him in another thread here a few days ago.

South Africa really is a very dangerous place.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very sad. And, as mega says, a very dangerous place. I never understood anyone wanting to go visit the place on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

R.I.P. What a fighter and what a man sleep with the Angels you will never be forgot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

walshb wrote: »
    Very sad. And, as mega says, a very dangerous place. I never understood anyone wanting to go visit the place on holidays.

To be fair that's a little harsh. Incidents like this happen in nearly every country. Google Jill Meagher if you haven't already heard the news. Would that stop you coming to visit Melbourne though?

I've travelled through countries in South America that others would write off as too dangerous and I never had a problem.

Sadly there are evil people out there in all countries, and this sad story is another example of it.

RIP.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    To be fair that's a little harsh. Incidents like this happen in nearly every country. Google Jill Meagher if you haven't already heard the news. Would that stop you coming to visit Melbourne though?

I've travelled through countries in South America that others would write off as too dangerous and I never had a problem.

Sadly there are evil people out there in all countries, and this sad story is another example of it.

RIP.

I am well aware that crime happens everywhere. Simple: Of all the countries on earth the last place I would visit on holidays would be SA. Now, maybe some other countries crime/murder rate are higher. I just am not aware of them. SA is littered with many areas that are just plain lethal/lawless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

To be fair that's a little harsh.

No it isn't, South Africa is an awful place. The crime there is horrendous, with many streets looking like war zones. Check out Louis Theroux's documentary on Johannesburg - full of extremely violent crime.

RIP to Sanders. Tragic set of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

walshb wrote: »
    I am well aware that crime happens everywhere. Simple: Of all the countries on earth the last place I would visit on holidays would be SA. Now, maybe some other countries crime/murder rate are higher. I just am not aware of them. SA is littered with many areas that are just plain lethal/lawless.

As Sub-Saharan Africa goes I'd rather visit SA than almost all of the others. Do a bit of reading on Somalia, and Mogadishu in particular for a little perspective:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Mogadishu

As Sub-Saharan Africa goes I'd rather visit SA than almost all of the others. Do a bit of reading on Somalia, and Mogadishu in particular for a little perspective:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Mogadishu

I agree. Like I said, if there are worse countries I will put them at the top. Point is that SA in many many parts is a hole. Lawless hole. And, not a place I would ever consider visiting. I value my life too much. As for Melbourne. No problem visting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

An national hero gets murdered while celebrating his daughters birthday party? Wtf!.Murdered shielding his 15 year old daughter. Tragic beyond belief Rest in Peace:(

Advertisement