Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveying text messages in a novel

Options
  • 23-09-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Has anyone ever needed to use a passage of speech in a novel that describes the text messages between two characters? if you have what syle did you use as in did you require speech bubbles?
    EG "I went to the doctor today."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I used italics and no speech marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tripper1963

fair play thanks i was thinking the same but wasnt sure if it was correct- difficult to build up suspense describing actions with a nokia mobile :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

In published books it's usually italics, sometimes speech marks, occasionally a separate font. Whatever works for you. :)

me thinks writers had to work harder before mobile phones were introduced- :D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I've seen it in books like this: wud luv 2 meet u I think that conveys a text message better than italics which in my head would represent something else (thoughts in someone's head or a letter)

• Advertisement

very good point hcass that is how lot of people text universally recognised thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A separate font usually works best although I'm one of these people whose eye is drawn to something like this as soon as I turn the page and I often spoil the suspense on myself.

Be careful with using txtspk if it doesn't fit with your character's profile. People who were too old to accept the abbreviations and those who grew up with predictive/corrective text might not have the reflex of trying to save characters.

Thanks pickarooney very valid point about text speak luckily my story incorporates an older man who needs to discover texting when he falls in love and the comic potential of a total novice learning to text is great especially when the phone predicts what he might want to text which of course is the opposite to what he wants. old people and mobile phones comic gold :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

Thanks pickarooney very valid point about text speak luckily my story incorporates an older man who needs to discover texting when he falls in love and the comic potential of a total novice learning to text is great especially when the phone predicts what he might want to text which of course is the opposite to what he wants. old people and mobile phones comic gold :rolleyes:

very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

People who were too old to accept the abbreviations and those who grew up with predictive/corrective text might not have the reflex of trying to save characters.

I'm thirty and I rarely abbreviate texts. My mother, and my girlfriend's mother both abbreviate so much their texts are near illegible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement