Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bags

Options
  • 23-09-2012 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

So, next item on my to-do list is to purchase a changing bag.I've been perusing online and nothing has really blown me away yet.They seem very pricey (or maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones!!).

I don't want an enormous one, as I would only fill it and it would be a tonne weight, but I want something that's practical, has different pockets etc, easy to use and looks stylish(as stylish as a changing bag can!!), while not breaking the bank either!

I would love to hear your recommendations!Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I was just thinking about this today! Saw some in smyths but I'm not sure what's out there and how much use/ what kind of functionality I want out of it! What did other mammies find super useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

@Littlemissteach

I was exactly the same, knowing the bigger the bag the more crap I'd shovel in for 'just in case'! I wanted some pretty and girly but hubby was having none of it, he insisted on getting something plain and simple, black and discrete enough that'd he would be happy to carry and would not weigh down on the pram.

So to keep him happy I got this one in Smyths when we had no1

http://www.toys.ie/Mini-Messenger-Bag-!100969-prd.aspx

I fully intended to buy something gorgeously 'yummy mummy' at a later stage for me, but tbh this one was so handy that I never got around to getting anything else. The unzip panel on the front of the bag has several pockets and are waterproofy fabric. The insulated pockets on both sides are SO handy for bottles and at a later stage yoghurts and food pots too :) Saves carrying a second bottle bag. The wet bag in it is handy for soiled bibs or messy vests. A little hook inside the pocket on the flap for keys which was a life saver juggling baby and stuff and having baby-brain too.

The one issue I had was that it doesn't have a changing mat, but I picked up a simple black and white one in Tesco that was only a couple of euro, and it matched perfectly fine. Something like this one http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-travel-changing-mat-black-white/211-2358.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=211-2358

Best of all, for the twenty odd quid I spent on it initially only to keep himself happy, I got use out of it for both no1 & no2 and atm its still good as new and currently packed and full of newborn stuff with my hospital bag as no3 is due any day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

KGLady wrote: »
    @Littlemissteach

I was exactly the same, knowing the bigger the bag the more crap I'd shovel in for 'just in case'! I wanted some pretty and girly but hubby was having none of it, he insisted on getting something plain and simple, black and discrete enough that'd he would be happy to carry and would not weigh down on the pram.

So to keep him happy I got this one in Smyths when we had no1

http://www.toys.ie/Mini-Messenger-Bag-!100969-prd.aspx

I fully intended to buy something gorgeously 'yummy mummy' at a later stage for me, but tbh this one was so handy that I never got around to getting anything else. The unzip panel on the front of the bag has several pockets and are waterproofy fabric. The insulated pockets on both sides are SO handy for bottles and at a later stage yoghurts and food pots too :) Saves carrying a second bottle bag. The wet bag in it is handy for soiled bibs or messy vests. A little hook inside the pocket on the flap for keys which was a life saver juggling baby and stuff and having baby-brain too.

The one issue I had was that it doesn't have a changing mat, but I picked up a simple black and white one in Tesco that was only a couple of euro, and it matched perfectly fine. Something like this one http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-travel-changing-mat-black-white/211-2358.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=211-2358

Best of all, for the twenty odd quid I spent on it initially only to keep himself happy, I got use out of it for both no1 & no2 and atm its still good as new and currently packed and full of newborn stuff with my hospital bag as no3 is due any day :)

Wow, thanks so much for all that info!! That looks like the biz! Were u able to pick up the changing mat in store or did u need to buy it online ?? I've never seen changing mats in tesco- but then again I've never looked!!
    I had been looking at some of the yummy mummy bags from pink lining but I'd say my hubby wouldn't be too happy with it!! I mentioned changing bag to him this morning and he gave me a look- he said couldn't we just use a dunnes bag!!!lol!!!

I got it in one of the BIG Tesco shops, you know the ones that have loads of clothes and housey stuff and not just a supermarket, they do have some great stuff in their baby dept, and I love the baby clothes there too. They have one on the smyths site that is a flat foldy style, looks like it would easy slip into the bag.

http://www.toys.ie/Baby-Changing-Mat-!118082-prd.aspx

And LOL at your hubby, dunnes bag hahaha!

I just had a look at changing bags on amazon and found some great bags that come with changing pads and accessories for good prices! I ordered a jj Cole one with a nice pattern since I will probably be using this as a handbag as well!

• Advertisement

@ Rach

That had been my plan, to get something a bit glam but in the end I love all my handbags so much that I couldn't give them up! It felt like letting a part of 'Me' disappear into being Mammy.

I do love browsing/looking at the lovely ones though, so throw us a link of what you picked in the end :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I got the Mothercare messenger bag on ebay for a tenner. I wanted something plain and black that my husband would be equally comfortable carrying.

http://www.mothercare.ie/messenger-bag-black.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJ-Cole-Mode-Changing-Mixed/dp/B00511J6IA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348417914&sr=8-2

This is the changing bag I decided on ordering. Ive had pretty good luck with amazon in the past so ordering it before seeing it doesn't worry me too much! the reviews seems good as well:)

I have no "great" handbags at the moment. I have been wanting an Orla Keily handbag for AGES now and its just out of our budget, especially with baby on the way. This one is orla kiely-esque and since I am using a penney's handbag at the moment I don't mind sharing baby bag with handbag since its nicer than anything I've got haha! I have a hard time splurging on myself, but with baby stuff I have decided to get what I like just this once! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I got a Gerber one in TK MAxx in Blanch. It does the job.

• Advertisement

Oooooh lovely.
    I've a suspicion that I'm about to lose a few hours now gawping on Amazon, already I've seen 3 I could LOVE. But last baby for us this time, himself would buy me one in a heartbeat if I just dropped a hint but its kinda hard to justify it when we're sure this time is the last time.

Also I must be careful not to meander into TK Maxx when I'm down in blanch and popping into Smyths for baby stuffs :D

Advertisement