Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which would you choose?

Options
  • 23-09-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

looking to buy a new diesel when i return home from over seas and with the fuel prices the way they are at home diesel is my option.
    not sure which to choose but i have narrowed it down to these with my budget...volvo s40, vw passat or avensis.
    now assuming that they would all be around '06 - '07 similar miles and service record which one would you choose? economy vs price and quality etc - apologies if a similar thread has been answered before but some new opinions never hurt ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The Avensis will be the most reliable.

But I would buy a Passat (or a well specced Jetta if I could find one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The Volvo is much smaller than both the Passat and Avensis, but if you can get a 2.0d SE spec then I'd have that over both of the other cars.

Passat isn't fantastic, and the Avensis is the most uncomfortable car in the world to drive.

Why have you ruled out the Mondeo? Better than the Passat and Avensis IMO, bigger than the Volvo, nice to drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 burrellman

i had heard bad things about the fuel consumption of the mondeo...supposedly it drinks diesel but i have no first hand experience of one so i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd have a look at the Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid also, they can be bought for relatively small money these days. 1.9 Tid engine is a well used Fiat engine also found in Opels and Alfa Romeos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I have a 2006 1.4 d4d corolla and its a great car. Never gave me any bother and as long as you put good diesel i it you should get 55-60mpg depending on how you drive (I'm a young driver and those are my figures). My family have always bought toyotas and never had bother with any of them. Hope this helps your decision. Also the 1.4 diesel corolla is great at overtaking. Great power in it for a 1.4

• Advertisement
Advertisement