Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex Wall Heater DX20V - stops after 1 minute

Options
  • 22-09-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have two of these bog standard electric wall convection heaters in our bedrooms in our rented flat.

We tried them in April but they went off after about a minute. We didn't think about them again until now because the temp is starting to drop again...

They are so simple, I cannot figure what might be wrong.

They have two round dials. One has settings 0 I and II. The other has a range from 1 to 5.

I tried them again this week, and put them both to max and they come on for about a minute or two ... then they switch off. That's all they do.

Would anyone have any ideas ?

Comments

Some of those heaters have a simple thermostat inside them that is constantly switching on and off as the inside of the heater gets hot, not a very clever design!

It means that the thing will switch off after a few minutes cool down and then switch back on, continuously switching on and off, the higher the setting, the longer the "on" time and the more heat that gets out into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Some of those heaters have a simple thermostat inside them that is constantly switching on and off as the inside of the heater gets hot, not a very clever design!

It means that the thing will switch off after a few minutes cool down and then switch back on, continuously switching on and off, the higher the setting, the longer the "on" time and the more heat that gets out into the room.

ah... they were not used for a long time before we moved in. Is it possible that they have a dust build up ? would that cause them thermostat to kick in early ?

Piliger wrote: »
    ah... they were not used for a long time before we moved in. Is it possible that they have a dust build up ? would that cause them thermostat to kick in early ?
    Unlikely, I used to live in a house with the same type of heaters and the constant clicking of the thermostat used to drive me mad!. :mad:

Unlikely, I used to live in a house with the same type of heaters and the constant clicking of the thermostat used to drive me mad!. :mad:

Left it on for two hours this afternoon. Came on and went off one minute later ...... never came on again :(

Is there a Dimplex place in dublin where I could get some tech advice before it really gets cold .... ?

sounds like a fault, shouldn't do that.

• Advertisement

sounds like a fault, shouldn't do that.

I just noticed that the orange light flashes really slowly ... it has a red and an orange light. Any ideas ? No heat though.

I just noticed that the orange light flashes really slowly ... it has a red and an orange light. Any ideas ? No heat though.

Might be worth googling the model number for a manual, if it's a common one there should be an online manual somewhere.

Edit: just googled and didn't find one, but the Dimplex website has manuals for more modern heaters, one might be similar to your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tdavfc

Left it on for two hours this afternoon. Came on and went off one minute later ...... never came on again :(

Is there a Dimplex place in dublin where I could get some tech advice before it really gets cold .... ?

Hi,

Dimplex have a shop/factory on the Old Airport Road on the way to Santry and take appliances back for repair. Just past the crowne plaza on the left. Is you heater Level! We have an electric Dimplex Fire heater and it did the exact same thing on us. I found if we tilted it forward a bit it worked perfectly!! They might have a tilt switch protection in them or something like that. Try putting something behind it at the bottom or top! Just a shot in the dark..

TDAVFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As you're renting, contact your landlord.

Yes but I don't want to hit him for an electrician call out. He's a decent old man. I called Dimpco today but got nowhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement