Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 512GB SSD drive for laptop

Options
  • 22-09-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to get a 512GB SSD drive for a Toshiba laptop (Portege R700).
    Any recommendations on makes/models and where to buy?
    Is there a big difference in terms or speed/reliability etc between the various models?

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Hi

I want to get a 512GB SSD drive for a Toshiba laptop (Portege R700).
    Any recommendations on makes/models and where to buy?
    Is there a big difference in terms or speed/reliability etc between the various models?

TIA

Do you realy need a 512GB SSD? That will cost you between 350 and 400 quid. Madness in my opinion but hey its your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Space is very tight in the Portege and I'm not sure a 9mm height drive will fit. When I upgraded last year I had to try a few drives before geting one that fit.

As for the size, 512 is big right enough but 256 isn't enough for me.
    I can get a Crucial M4 for around €300 ex VAT, or should I be looking at any other drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

That looks the business, any word on the reliability of em ?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Space is very tight in the Portege and I'm not sure a 9mm height drive will fit. When I upgraded last year I had to try a few drives before geting one that fit.

As for the size, 512 is big right enough but 256 isn't enough for me.
    I can get a Crucial M4 for around €300 ex VAT, or should I be looking at any other drives.

have you considered replacing the ODD in you're laptop with a HDD.. i've done it got a 128GB SSD for booting and then a 500GB HDD for storage.. you can get a caddy for the removed ODD and use it via USB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Big Lar wrote: »
    That looks the business, any word on the reliability of em ?

IIRC The second generation is supposed to be fairly rock solid. I think there's a firmware update available for them, if you do decide to get one. I think I remember reading that the chips they use to make the ssd are more reliable than what is used by a lot of ssds on the market.

That 750GB model is second generation & also has double the ssd (8GB) of the first gen momentus XT.

Sorry, its a bit cloudy- open to correction on all of the above, its a few months since I looked into them...

Advertisement