Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturalisation

Options
  • 22-09-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,
    I am due to apply for naturalisation in Dec this year as a spouse of an Irish citizen but I have some short comings and different people have been giving me different opinions as a result. I satisfied all the requirements except that I have never worked in Ireland and I only recently started getting job seekers` allowance from May this year. I originally objected to it but because all my genuine efforts over the years to find a job failed, my spouse has always been in employment, I decided to take up a course with VTOS to increase my chances in the long run but was told I had to be on a jobseeker`s payment for a minimum of 6months to be eligible and now I don`t know whether to go ahead with my application or to forget it altogether. Presently, I am doing a short course with Vec while on awaiting list for the VTOS` one.
    I contacted justice dept and asked them if I could apply regardless and was told that anyone who meets the statutory requirements can apply. Could it be that they are trying to deceive me to get the €175 application fee or should I just risk it? Pls if you have gone through a similar situation or know anyone who has,
    your advice is greatly welcomed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

There are two parts to any application for naturalisation, the first is statutory i.e. are you here long enough are you a good person etc., the second part is in relation to the Absolute Discretion of the minister.

In the past social welfare has been used to refuse s person. Not sure about spouse of a citizen.

If you think the Irish state is trying to con you out if 175 euro don't apply. If think the Irish State will treat you with dignity then apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Sorry to ask this question on the OP's thread.

Im Welsh and been living and working here for 18 years and married to an Irish woman, would i quailfy for Irish Citizenship ?

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Im Welsh and been living and working here for 18 years and married to an Irish woman, would i quailfy for Irish Citizenship ?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Thanks, sorry if its a silly question but would i have to give up being Welsh?

Your citizenship is British your nationality is welsh neither has to be given up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No both the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland allows dual citizenship

And no it's really not a stupid question, there are countries that require you to surrender your passport if you gain citizenship in another country even if the other country allows dual nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Same here, Welsh and been here 8yrs, married to an Irish woman.

Looked into it but the cost is 1,000Euro, and for the benefits it'd give i couldn't see the point

Advertisement