Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i find A...

Options
  • 22-09-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi.

Could someone please advise me where can i find a " PVC Ball Valves Socket White 1-1/2 ". ( preferable for less than €10 )
    i am making a potato cannon.
    i have searched the net and everything i find is in America where shipping is €50 and up or a motorized valve for 70€.
    i have called to my local plumbing store but they only have them for flex PVC pipes.
    i am living in cork.

Thanks in advanced.
    Rick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A what ?.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why not just use a standard ball valve with inserts and it will save you all the trouble,

• Registered Users Posts: 42 technoboi

Why not just use a standard ball valve with inserts and it will save you all the trouble,
    as in a metal ball valve?

aujopimur wrote: »
    A what ?.
    the valves that i was thinking about are here.
    the potato cannon shoots potatos out of a pvc pipe. compressed air is used in my case to shoot the potato. ( wiki ).

• Advertisement

technoboi wrote: »
    as in a metal ball valve?

Well brass to be exact. They come with 2 brass nuts on the end and sometimes they can be coated silver

Well brass to be exact. They come with 2 brass nuts on the end and sometimes they can be coated silver
    thanks for your help, ill have a look at them.

thanks for your help, ill have a look at them.

If you have plastic pipe you will also need inserts...

thanks for all your help guys.
    1 last question the pipe i got says
    polypipe 40mm waste pipe.
    how much pressure can i pump into the pipe?
    i asked the guy at the store and he said that they dont come with a pressure rating.
    rick

thanks for all your help guys.
    1 last question the pipe i got says
    polypipe 40mm waste pipe.
    how much pressure can i pump into the pipe?
    i asked the guy at the store and he said that they dont come with a pressure rating.
    rick

He is right....

If you told us the use at the start it would not have taken us as long to get here.

• Advertisement

He is right....

If you told us the use at the start it would not have taken us as long to get here.

How do you mean not have taken us as long to get here.?
    Is the pipe not suitable?

Thanks
    Rick

How do you mean not have taken us as long to get here.?
    Is the pipe not suitable?

Thanks
    Rick

You never said waste pipe. Nor have you explained propperly what your trying to do by pressurising waste pipe. This is not what waste pipe is designed to do and i doubt it will be suitable. Its back to old school science. When you increase pressure you increase temperature and volume. When you increase the temp of waste pipe it buckles. Additionally the solvent welded joints are not suitable for expansion and contraction.

Your best bet is a philmac fitting. Although to be honest you need the pressure to be instant so if it were me i would be using an air compressor and taking a feed for an air controlled spring loaded ball valve that way you just push a button and the spring in the valve closes it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykF3TUTI2hU

This what you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpAJOPzKK-M

They can be made by using compressed air instead of fuel so maybe that is what the valve is for but these look simpler.

You never said waste pipe. Nor have you explained properly what your trying to do by pressurising waste pipe.

the reason i got the waste pipe was because that is all that was in the shop. the video below explains how the cannon works.
    nudger wrote: »

the video that i was basing my cannon off was a http://youtu.be/1iDxPNVAqW8 .

Advertisement