Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back-up Software

Options
  • 22-09-2012 3:38pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I wonder if anyone know of any good reliable software that can be use to automatically back-up folders to a drive. Looking for a software that if I delete any of the files or folders it will also delete them from the back-up, also an schedule so I can set it up to back-up once a day, hour, etc.

Had a look at the Applications & Fixes sticky in the "Backup, recovery & maintenance tools/utilities" but to me doesn't look like any will do all of that, unless I missed something.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Synctoy should do the trick for this I would imagine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

D'Agger wrote: »
    Synctoy should do the trick for this I would imagine.

Thanks, installed it and works ok, only feature I see is missing is that it monitors the folders and if I delete/add/rename something it should automatically do it for me, looks like I have to run the program and click on Run to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Glad to hear - haven't actually started using it myself - need to do a huge reorganization of my files next weekend! Figured it'd help though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

D'Agger wrote: »
    Glad to hear - haven't actually started using it myself - need to do a huge reorganization of my files next weekend! Figured it'd help though.

Searching google found a nice post how to make it to run automatically Schedule SyncToy to Run Automatically With Task Scheduler in Windows 7 will need to test it when get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

We use cobian backup. have a look

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The reason you might not be finding anything is that what you describe is most emphatically not a backup.

A backup is a snapshot in time of either data or a system image. Once taken, it shouldn't be changed at all - in fact, a hallmark of good backup systems is that they don't let you alter their contents after the fact.

What you want is more like a redundant copy of your data. An alternative way to implement something suitable might be an extra hard drive configured to mirror your original drive (either in software or via a hardware RAID controller set to RAID1). However, depending on what you're trying to achieve or how you want to use the second copy of your data it may not be the best solution.

Advertisement