Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda virus infection, looking for advice...

Options
  • 21-09-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

I have the malware similar to the other threads.

I have two user profiles on my computer and it only has affected one. I used the other profile to delete an application file under my name but that didn't change anything.

To try to get around the problem, I created a new user profile, let's call it Name2. I copied all my files from Name to Name2 and Name2 is working without any problems. I have yet to delete the Name profile.

Should I carry out a similar process to the other threads or does it suffice to delete Name (the only profile the malware has affected)? If the malware causes other issues to the computer, I'd rather get rid of it completely. I read on some site that it some cases it can see what you're doing on the internet which risks passwords, personal details etc. Can that be true?

I'm a numpty for these things tbh so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

PS Is there a need to change passwords?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can anyone help me? I found these stranges files (6 x 3/4kb files) on my hardrive and that has me worried still!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I had a few machines with this and the only way I got rid of it is by making the Kaspersky Rescue disk and follow the instructions here.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-an-garda-siochana-virus/

Will need access to a clean machine to make the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

System restore to earlier point in time

Should I run OTL as mentioned in other threads?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

yes

ASJ112 wrote: »
    yes

My Norton won't let me run it, it keeps deleting it automatically. I'm not the only one who uses this computer so I'd rather not interfere with Norton, I know little to nothing about it.

Would it suffice to simply delete the files in my C drive that I mentioned above?

What are the name of the files ? Norton should have an option of letting you run a program it flags.

These are the file names, all are in my C drive and were created on the same night of the virus appearing (but not all at the same time, some are 30 minutes later than others, first appeared about an hour after the virus appeared)

{E4227D26-DBA7-4E71-BA48-DA3CA1D7DE59}
    {50238565-3926-44E2-AD06-02B4C512BB93}
    {3200A35F-8380-432A-BC4F-DE43DF5F8A1B}
    {69CA4FFE-B3AD-4ABD-A5DD-2791A28CEDF9}
    {4FCB4A8C-2B9E-4B02-8F90-3E1B7438D0C7}

Should be safe to delete, but I cant be 100% sure without the OTL scan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement