Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick lodge boxes gone

Options
  • 21-09-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭

I went into a city centre (D2) branch today to lodge money to the quick lodge, only to be told that they were removed because they 'were not safe' to lodge!!

I was told that you can lodge to the atm machines though (if you have an atm card)- but thats no good if you are trying to lodge to somebody else's account!

Are you seriously telling me that you cant have a quicklodge that is safe??

If the quick lodge isnt safe in the branch is anything else????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi daheff,

Thanks for posting. We're introducing new technology into our branches which we hope will make lodging and withdrawing to/from your account more efficient.
    To make payments to someone else's account, you can set up an electronic transfer using Banking365. If it's a regular payment, you could also set up a standing order. You can add payees and set up standing orders on 365online. Find out more by clicking the hyperlinks, or if you have any other queries please let us know.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

Hi daheff,

Thanks for posting. We're introducing new technology into our branches which we hope will make lodging and withdrawing to/from your account more efficient.
    To make payments to someone else's account, you can set up an electronic transfer using Banking365. If it's a regular payment, you could also set up a standing order. You can add payees and set up standing orders on 365online. Find out more by clicking the hyperlinks, or if you have any other queries please let us know.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Graham,
    Thats all well and good, but if I'm lodging a cheque to somebody elses account then neither internet banking nor using an atm is any good to me.

what technology are you adding to make withdrawing from my account more efficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi daheff,

Lodgement ATMs will eventually be in all Bank of Ireland branches and allow lodging and withdrawing of funds.
    This will cut down on queuing in branches and make managing day to day tasks more efficient.

Thanks

Billy

daheff wrote: »
    Hi Graham,
    Thats all well and good, but if I'm lodging a cheque to somebody elses account then neither internet banking nor using an atm is any good to me.

Hi billy,

As per my original post, its all well and good having these lodgement ATMs, but it still means that I have to go to the desk to lodge cheques to other peoples accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi daheff,

You are correct. For the moment, when you need to lodge cheques to other peoples' accounts, you will still have to do this at the counter. However, as mentioned above:
    This will cut down on queuing in branches and make managing day to day tasks more efficient.

So in cases where you have cheques to lodge at the counter, this should go quicker for you. The updating of branches with new technology is an ongoing process. We have passed on the feedback that has been given here to the Branch Network Team for review, so it is possible that a solution to your problem may be brought in at a later stage.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement

Hi daheff,

You are correct. For the moment, when you need to lodge cheques to other peoples' accounts, you will still have to do this at the counter. However, as mentioned above:

So in cases where you have cheques to lodge at the counter, this should go quicker for you. The updating of branches with new technology is an ongoing process. We have passed on the feedback that has been given here to the Branch Network Team for review, so it is possible that a solution to your problem may be brought in at a later stage.

Thanks
    Pat

eh- you forgot to mention that the number of counters (at least in the branch i visited- and i'd guess a lot of others) have been cut from 8 to 3. :eek:

so not really speeding things up Pat!!

you guys are really making my decision to look at alternative banks easier & easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

How do you actually use a lodgement ATM? Do you still have to fill out a lodgement slip and feed that into the machine with your cheque?

You have no demo of this on your website and by forcing people to use an ATM Card you are making sure they will be charged the €2.50 stamp duty.

I have avoided this stamy duty for year's by never using my card and using online banking to transfer money to another account and then getting my cash that way.

Hi daheff,

Lodgement ATMs will eventually be in all Bank of Ireland branches and allow lodging and withdrawing of funds.

Thanks

Billy

- Correct me if I'm wrong but you will still have to queue to use the actual ATM machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The last two occasions I tried to use the ATM to lodge in my branch, both the machines were broken. I did use one to recently lodge a cheque and I was pleased with the receipt printing the photo of the cheque, but it's only good when it works!

Another gripe I never brought to the fore with the bank was when I had a 5k personal loan out, I needed to borrow another 10k (all back in 2008/09). The woman giving me th loan top up asked if I wanted the money to come out on the same day as the other loan. Yeah, that would be handy I said. She said that she would just have to close the other loan and add it to the one, not mentioning the fact that I would be charged a penalty for closing the majority of the oustanding loan. Obviosuly it was to boost her wage packet, because she sold a 14k loan, instead of 10k loan. It was more than a year before I was rooting through statements that I realised this had happened. The lady who sold me the loan was long gone and...well.....life got in the way of following this up. I was out of pocket by a couple of hundred at least, due to the loan being paid off early, without me knowing what was actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Hi daheff,

Thanks,
    Graham
    Would I not be breaking the law if I lodge someone elses money to my account, then transfer it to their account by electronic transfer, ?
    Also it could be very difficult to explain to revenue. And you get double transaction fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Aren't cheques being phased out completely anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi all,

As there have been a few queries on this thread over the weekend, I will try to address each poster individually.

Delta2113,

It isn't necessary to fill out a lodgement slip when using one of our Lodgement ATMs. When you input your debit card into the machine, your account information is read directly from the card. If you do decide to use one of the lodgement ATMs you will be liable for the for the €2.50 Government Stamp Duty on your debit card.

You are correct, we currently don't have an online demo showing how the machine works, however, the staff in any of the branches that currently use the new machines will happily show you how to use them.

Provided there is a queue for the machine you would have to wait your turn, however, as the machines are only used for lodgements and withdrawals you wouldn't be required to wait in the queue for the cashier desk. By splitting the queue, wait times would be reduced all around.

goz83,

We're glad to hear that you've had a good experience using the Lodgement ATMs.

In relation to the second part of your post, we would advise you to contact your branch so that they can look into this further for you. You can find the contact details for your branch here.

2 stroke,

The answer that you quoted was written in relation to lodging a cheque/cash from one customer into another persons account. It wasn't suggesting that you take someone else's cash/cheque and lodge it into your own account and then forward it on via an online transfer.

I wouldn't be in a position to comment on the legality of the circumstances you laid out, however, in the example you gave, you are correct, the lodging of a cheque would be subject to a transaction fee as would the electronic transfer.

yer man!,

We currently don't have any plans to phase out cheques completely. We've had a similar query previously. Please see the response below.
    Chequebooks are available to customers who hold a Personal Current account with us. However the rate of cheque usage for personal customers has been declining over the last few years and is being replaced by usage of debit cards and electronic/online payments. These alternatives and others such as direct debits and standing orders are quicker and safer options for our customers to transfer money. Domestic and international transfers can be made on Banking 365 online and online transfers are faster than waiting for a cheque to clear. Banking 365 Online also has eStatements so you can keep track of your banking.

Thank you all for your queries.

Pat

Pat, I've reread that post and my interpretation hasn't changed. I've had a similar experience inbranch recently. I can't see any circumstance that I would be lodging money to someone elses account if the money was mine. If the money was mine I'd be putting it in my own account.

Can I use my BOI Pass Card in the lodgement ATM machine or does it have to be a new Visa Debit Card as you suggest Pat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi 2stroke,

From the op's post we understood it that the customer was lodging money into someone else's account, so we suggested the alternatives, eg online transfers, or standing order. The op then clarified that it wasn't their money at all but making a lodgement on behalf of someone else. Customers in that situation can still go to the cashier to make the payment.

Can you please clarify the similar situation you had in the branch to see if we can explain why it occurred.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Delta2113,

Any ATM card can be used at the Lodgement ATM.

Thanks

Billy

Occasionally I've made lodgements for a relative who is away from home. A staff member suggested that in future I quicklodge to my account and set up an electronic transfer. At the time I was taken by surprise and left speechless but I'll be gunning for her on my next visit.

Hi 2 stroke,

Our staff members do try to suggest alternative options to customers to make their banking quicker and easier. Apologies if the staff member misunderstood that you were lodging a family member's money into their account.

Thanks
    Linda

Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Billy 
    Hi Delta2113,

Any ATM card can be used at the Lodgement ATM.

Thanks

Billy

Can I use my demand savings account ATM card in BOI to lodge cash and cheques and in Walkinstown can I use the ATM machine outside the bank to do this?

Your online demo on youtube only mention's current accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Delta2113.

Thanks for you query.

You can certainly use your demand savings account ATM card at a lodgement ATM (LATM) to lodge cash and cheques to the account it is associated with. This can be done at the Walkinstown branch as they have an external LATM at their branch.

Hope this helps. If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to ask.
    Laura

• Advertisement

Laura

I tried to use my demand savings blue Pass atm card at the LATM outside the Walkinstown branch and I did not get any option to lodge cash or cheques. Are you wrong Laura with your previous info?

As mentioned before in lodgment ATM Demo on youtube it says current account,credit card and business account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Delta2113,

Thank you for your post.

You can most certainly use your BOI pass card in any of our lodgement ATM machines.

Please see here for all locations of our branches, should you need it

Hope this helps, if there is anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks
    Paula C

"You can certainly use your demand savings account ATM card at a lodgement ATM (LATM) to lodge cash and cheques to the account it is associated with."

- I tried and no you cant and your youtube video seem's to confirm this. Can somebody check this again for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "You can certainly use your demand savings account ATM card at a lodgement ATM (LATM) to lodge cash and cheques to the account it is associated with."

- I tried and no you cant and your youtube video seem's to confirm this. Can somebody check this again for me?
    Hi Delta2113,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post.

We have checked with the LATM team and they have confirmed that your card should have worked.  If you would like to PM us with your Name and branch, we would be happy to look into this further on your behalf.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Seán

Laura, Paula C, Sean -I tried again this morning and was able to lodge money via the ATM. Please accept my apologies - I cant believe I didnt notice the option the other day - bottom left on screen for lodgement.

Thanks for your persistence and sorry again.

No problem at all Delta2113, if there ever is any other banking questions you may have, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement