Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Student Exchange Highschool America Already Citizen

  • 21-09-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭✭ shay.w

    Im looking to do a student exchange to New Jersey America, Im looking to stay with family friends. I am already a Florida Citizen. But I currently live in Ireland. Im a fourth year in Dublin. Im looking for anyones advice or experience in how to organize this. Im wondering, how do I approach the school I want to attend, are there ant regulations being without a parent etc.
    Im not a citezen of New Jersy does this affect.
    What grade should I go into?
    Who and where can I find more information. Thankyou.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 silja

    *** Moving from US/ Canada travel, a defunct forum, to USA ****

    You are a US citizen, not a citizen of Florida or New Jersey, so you can go to school anywhere you like.

    If you plan on attending a state funded school, which one you go to will depend on local (county/ district) rules, usually it is the one closest to wherever you will be staying. Most districts have websites where you put in your address and it tells you the local intake schools, as well as what bus will pick you up etc, and the website will also say what forms are needed to be filled out by your parents and/ or the local adult guardian you will be staying with. If you are planning on a private school, have your parents contact the school and they can send out enrollment forms, a brochure etc.

    As a fourth year, you are about 15 or 16? You will likely be a sophomore or maybe junior in highschool.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭ rockonollie

    4th year is around about 10th grade.

    Best thing to do is have the family you plan on staying with, check with their school district, if they have an exchange program.

    I assume you are a US don't become a citizen of a specific state