Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jointly owned property

Options
  • 21-09-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

in the case of couples i suspect most of their residences are in joint names. Just wondering what happens say if one party becomes mentally incapable and the other party wishes to sell. Does it follow that this cannot take place until the other party dies and highlights the need of an Enduring Power of Attorney. If this is correct why is there very little publicity for the need to do so?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

dewdrop wrote: »
    in the case of couples i suspect most of their residences are in joint names. Just wondering what happens say if one party becomes mentally incapable and the other party wishes to sell. Does it follow that this cannot take place until the other party dies and highlights the need of an Enduring Power of Attorney. If this is correct why is there very little publicity for the need to do so?

The mentally incapable party can be made a ward of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Thanks Milk and Honey. I think a Ward of Court can be a costly and slow process . Likewise an Enduring Power of Attorney does not come cheap. I suspect most people do nothing until the unfortunate happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Do the life insurance policies people sign on taking out mortgages cover this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Not really. In my view say a couple jointly owned a property or for that matter if the property is in the sole name of the party who has "lost" mental capacity a problem arises if it wished to have the property sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 neverfindaname

dewdrop wrote: »

Usually their next of kin becomes 'active', which would not be their partner. If you want to sell, on the consent of their next of kin, they get a share for that person (or go to court should there be a dispute) POA are usually done so by their next of kin/husband/wife etc, in the event of......

• Advertisement
Advertisement