Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reluctant to upgrade Snow Leopard

Options
  • 21-09-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else still on SL? I'm reluctant to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I really don't like the iOSification of OSX. Launchpad? What's wrong with clicking the Applications icon in the dock with Grid view on? Notifications? I have Growl already. Apparently there are changes to Expose aswell?

I really like Snow Leopard. It's fast, it's cleaner, it's stable and responsive. I have it set up exactly the way I like it. There are no frills and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm thinking this is the last great desktop OSX.

There is ONE thing I would like in ML and that is iCloud. I'm considering getting the iPhone 5 and it would be a blessing to have my notes backed up automatically and appear on OSX. That and the relative ease of backing up and updating the phone compared to my SGS2. I have to load windows if I want to update the firmware or load a new ROM on that.

But is it worth the upgrade?! Can anyone share experiences from transitioning SL to ML?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Don't know about going direct from SL to ML but I've upgraded as they've come out without any major issues. IMO it's worth the upgrade for the integration between the IOS 6 and ML. I like being able to open taps that I've left open in Safari at work on my iphone and ipad and the way I can imessage other iPhone users direct from my desktop. Just my view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Yeah OP I share you views on 10.6.8, solid as a rock and quick enough for me. The move from 10.7 to 10.8 seemed a bit quick to me but hey, I'm old.

Apart from the solidity of 10.6.8, the issue I have is that to move I must change hardware first as myMacBook and MacMini are both Core Duo so the whole OS upgrade thing takes on a new degree of expense.

I'm gonna try and squeeze a couple of years out of my current set-up (no iPhone to worry about yet). To be honest I simply have to which rules out a slinky, shiny new phone.

I used to be an early adopter all the way back from System 6 to 7 and 8, Classic to OS X and learned a lot along the way (like keep away from Windoze!). The main issue for me is that VMware Fusion is creaking running XP Pro (I have to have it, it's not a choice believe me) and the need to keep that steaming heap of unfriendliness running might be the ultimate deciding factor.

Good thread topic, well done and thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You don't have to use LaunchPad if you don't want to. And while it is based on the iOS Springboard, Springboard was probably partially inspired by the old Launcher application in Classic Mac OS. That's all Launchpad is: a new, updated Launcher. It's there for inexperienced computer users who find the filesystem confusing.

Reminders is far superior to Growl, but again you don't have to use it if you don't want to. And afaik Expose is pretty much back to the way it was.

ML is just as stable and fast as SL in my experience.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I have a similar ish question.

I'm running a 2009 macbook - all's grand it doesn't get used for alot - internet, spotify, some light photo work on Aperture and that's a bout it.

I'm running Leopard but recently it's beachballing alot so I've going to upgrade the RAM to 2GB instead of 2. But Should I look to upgrade to ML or Lion?

I've noticed a few things that I can't acess recently as I'm behind the times but i don't want to fork out unnecesarily...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm still running Snow Leopard. One of the main reasons is I use one of my Macs as a media server using Plex on it as we'll as ATV2 and iPad.

I know it can be reconfigured to work again with Mountain Lion but I'm just happy with the way it works now and can't see too many benefits or reasons to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'm still have SL on my 2009 iMac. I have no intention of upgrading. 10.6.8 does everything I need.

There are way too many updates in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

T-K-O wrote: »
    I'm still have SL on my 2009 iMac. I have no intention of upgrading. 10.6.8 does everything I need.

There are way too many updates in recent times

Likewise, the only thing I would like to have from the upgrade is the ability to full screen application windows but that's not enough to incentivise me to upgrade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

I'm still using "Tiger" for "Classic" applications on a G4 tower and "Snow Leopard" on an i5 2.8GHz Hackintosh for "Rosetta" apps. I have no reason to "upgrade" and lose those applications. I have no use for "The Cloud". I like to keep my backups at home and I have all the integration I need via my home router.

Advertisement