Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music to Wake up by!

Options
  • 21-09-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

apologies if this thread was created before but i couldent find one similar!

Hi,

Completely fed up with my alarm tones so I'm looking for some suggestions to set as an alarm in the morning.
    There must be some good ones out there that would get your morning off to a good start.

The only one I have at the moment is "End of the world as we know it" by REM, hardly appropriate title for first thing in the morning but its a great, upbeat tune.

So what's your song for getting you out of bed in the morning?

Thanks, GB.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

GastroBoy wrote: »
    apologies if this thread was created before but i couldent find one similar!

Hi,

Completely fed up with my alarm tones so I'm looking for some suggestions to set as an alarm in the morning.
    There must be some good ones out there that would get your morning off to a good start.

The only one I have at the moment is "End of the world as we know it" by REM, hardly appropriate title for first thing in the morning but its a great, upbeat tune.

So what's your song for getting you out of bed in the morning?

Thanks, GB.

Well if you wanted to stay on an R.E.M. upbeat vibe:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boo Radley - Wake Up

Pilot - Magic

and then roll over and back to sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You'll be wide awake, out of bed and ready for a hard days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

I quickly grow to hate any song I use as an alarm. I wouldn't advise using a song you like anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I reckon I've got two great suggestions for an alarm tune...

One to get you really up and going for the day: The Flaming Lips - Race for the Prize

And one to get you out of bed as fast as ****ing possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What about music you never wake up to!! Personally I'd like the piano version of Made of Stone played before my sealed casket is lowered into dirt for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What about music you never wake up to!! Personally I'd like the piano version of Made of Stone played before my sealed casket is lowered into dirt for eternity.

That escalated quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Wake me gently, Alice Cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My mate used to have a timer on his stereo, and he would always set this track up for the morning blasting out of his speakers. God knows how his family or neighbours took it, but damn effective.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'More Than A Feeling' by Boston, or 'Just Like Paradise' by David Lee Roth...you can thank me later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

In the right company...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Music to Wake up by... If the idea is to get you up, surely you should use a song you cannot stand! If you like the song, you might just lie there to listen to it. So using that perverse logic: anything by Westlife, Daniel O'Donnell or Neil Diamond... and not forgetting "If the Going Gets Tough..." by Boyzone! Also - "Wake me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham! (the exclamation mark was part of their name!)... I don't care that it's catchy, it's still awful. Oh, and a lot of that repetitive stuff played in gyms (and Spin103)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Music to Wake up by... If the idea is to get you up, surely you should use a song you cannot stand! If you like the song, you might just lie there to listen to it. So using that perverse logic: anything by Westlife, Daniel O'Donnell or Neil Diamond... and not forgetting "If the Going Gets Tough..." by Boyzone! Also - "Wake me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham! (the exclamation mark was part of their name!)... I don't care that it's catchy, it's still awful. Oh, and a lot of that repetitive stuff played in gyms (and Spin103)!

I Would say bad idea waking up to music you hate..but you successfully named a number of songs that if i woke to i would get up and then slay the device emitting those sound waves,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You all fail. This is mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

So start the day off pissed off and angry is it? Great advice, must try that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you have the option to do a slow wake up, where the volume goes from quiet to loud over a small while (i've mine set to 30 seconds), then this is the BEST thing to wake up to:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Music I would actually like to wake up to (as opposed to hating (see above!) or go comfortably to sleep to or just totally chill out or just lie there reflecting upon):
    Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
    Shut Your Eyes - Snow Patrol
    Good Morning Judge - 10cc
    Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc
    Babylon's Burning - The Ruts
    No More Heroes - The Stranglers
    Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
    Life in the Fast Lane - The Eagles
    Blue Monday - New Order
    Rock Lobster - The B52s
    Planet Earth - Duran Duran
    I Will Follow - U2
    Mary of the Fourth Form - The Boomtown Rats
    Exit Sandman - Metallica
    Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
    Song #2 - Blur
    American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    Invisible Touch - Genesis
    Island in the Sun - Weezer
    Brewing Up A Storm - The Stunning
    Borderline - Madonna
    You Make Me Feel Mighty Real - Slyvester
    Smalltown Boy - The Bronski Boy
    Why - The Bronski Beat
    Run - A Flock of Seagulls
    Default - Django Django
    Life is a Rollercoaster (no, really!) - Ronan Keating
    ...probably anything by The Frank and Walters and The Smiths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Music to Wake up by!

I think you mean 'Music to wake up to'

Anyway I like something at low volume, gentle quiet and chill like. My own DAB radio tuned to Chill music starts off with low volume music and gradually gets louder before I have to reach over and press the sleep button :))

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think you mean 'Music to wake up to'

No, I meant "Music to Wake up by".
    Its a play on the song title "Music to Watch Girls by" by The Bob Crewe Generation.
    But thank you for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

John Zorn's Naked City have some great alarm-worthy tracks, here's "Thrash Jazz Assassin".

Another good one is "Sack of Shit".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

This one also has an alarm clock at the start :)

I use to wake up to this:

Not too loud or abrupt. But agree with the others after a week or so i had to change it. You get to hate any song.

Advertisement