Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with a "Scrapped Car"?

Options
  • 21-09-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My mothers 98 Fiesta failed the NCT a few months ago and it has been sitting outside the house since. It failed due to rust on the underside of the car. Needless to say she took it off the road and got a new car.

When it came to the tax being due she filled out some form in the tax office saying it was going to be scrapped or something...not sure exactly and she cant remember. It would cost a bit to get it scrapped as far as I am aware. Im thinking it might be worth a few euros in parts?

A guy we know wanted to take it for his son to learn to drive on but my parents were nervous about giving the car to someone without the transfer of ownership. They feared that they would be held liable if the son took the car out on the road and caused a accident. As far as I know the ownership cert was handed into the tax office.

Any advice on how best to proceed would be much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

bring it to scrapyard. end of story. there is lots people around, who collect cars for scrap. will give you some money also. you may sell for parts, if you have space where to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

advertise it on donedeal for parts. If its a 1.25 the engine could be worth up to €300 and would be in demand. A 1.3 would be worth less, but you'd certainly find a buyer for parts. As a guide, I paid €200 for a 2000 1.25 for parts.

If you were nearer, I'd buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

She handed in the logbook at the tax office?

Usually you give away/sell the car and send the logbook to Shannon.
    If you scrap it you hand over the logbook to the scrapyard and get an Certificate of Destruction from them.
    If you don't have the logbook you can still scrap it, just check with the yard first.

http://scrapcarireland.com/
    On our arrival you will hand over your Log Book / DVLA V5 Document, and keys. If you do not have your log book or keys please indicate on the 'Scrap Car Request' form.

Advertisement