Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clustering

Options
  • 21-09-2012 11:46am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any of you set up a cluster? What for? How did you find it?

Just looking into the notion of a cluster for the usual reasons -> commodity hardware x 10 = MEGA. I get the impression that a beowulf cluster would probably require some kind of software rewrite though.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, I'm more wondering if it's worth porting something that's compute intensive to use MPI based on the hardware savings. 100 euro CPU's are very powerful these days. For 10K you could have 100 fast cores and oodles and oodles of RAM in a cluster. That's attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Khannie wrote: »
    Any of you set up a cluster? What for? How did you find it?

Not sure if you meant for HPC applications or not but I've set up a 200 mixed node cluster using the open source ROCKS s/w, it was straight forward enough.

Don't use it personally but it's heavily used where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://helmer.sfe.se/

Reminded me of this. Its old now(08 tech) but you could do the same with modern parts and a very modest budget. TDP wouldnt be too high either if you were conservative. Fun to build, but few would have use for it(I know a geologist who maps sections of the earth in crazy detail that would love one though).

Advertisement