Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Musical Society looking for new member's for Oklahoma!

Options
  • 21-09-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

LIMERICK Musical Society are currently recruiting new members for their Spring production, the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, Oklahoma. The musical will be staged in the Spring of 2013 at the University Concert Hall.
    The award winning musical society who presented the Irish premiere of 'Big - The Musical’ earlier this year, are looking for new members to join them for Oklahoma!
    An open evening will take place on Tuesday, October 2 at 8pm in Dolan's Pub and Restaurant. Auditions will take place the following week.
    Oklahoma! is one of the all time great musical plays of the twentieth century. The show was a smash hit and for 15 years it held the record as the longest running musical on Broadway.
    It is based on the play Green Grow the Lilacs by Lynn Riggs, whose text was closely followed, and whose poetic images inspired some of the lyrics to the songs of the show. It is a simple and refreshing love story with an Americana bucolic background.
    Cowhands, farmers, and rustic characters liven the plot and ballet sequences add artistry and energy everywhere. There is a comic secondary pair of lovers, a shifty charlatan and a vile, evil force in the person of Jud Fry, who strikes delicious fear into the sentimental story, but also provides the romantic lead with some comic opportunities.
    The music is refreshing and upbeat and the songs contain clever lyrics which are full of humour.
    Songs from the musical include the title track Oklahoma!, Oh What a Beautiful Morning, People Will Say We Are In Love, The Farmer and the Cowman and Many A New Day.
    The original Broadway cast included Alfred Drake and Joan Roberts in the lead roles, with Howard da Silva, Celeste Holm and Lee Dixon as Jud Fry, Ado Annie Carnes and Will Parker respectively. Hugh Jackman played the role of Curley in the 1998 West End revival.
    Limerick Musical Society is a very welcoming society and is always looking for new members. Whether you would prefer to play a lead role, sing and dance in the chorus or get involved back stage, front of house or with the many other aspects of the show which include hair and make-up, props, costumes, sets, etc., come along to our open night, bring a friend and make friends for life!
    Oklahoma! will be directed by Des Henn, while the choreography will be taught by AIMS award-winner, Niamh Twomey and the musical direction will be looked after by Maire Keary-Scanlon.
    For more details check out our Facebook page or contact us on limerickmusicalsociety@gmail.com or PM me here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

For anyone that might be interested, please do come along tomorrow night for our information night.

The society is a very welcoming and is always looking for new members. It is a excellent social outlet and can be something interesting to do in the dark Jan/Feb nights! Along with the rehearsals for the show there is also a great social side to it all!

PM me for more details or some along tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Oklahoma song is actually class, If I wasn't in cork I'd come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lordolan

I 'll be there plus 1 at least :)

charlemont wrote: »
    The Oklahoma song is actually class, If I wasn't in cork I'd come along.

You can always come up to see the show next April if you cant take part!

lordolan wrote: »
    I 'll be there plus 1 at least :)

Brilliant, make sure you say hello, I'll be the one trying to organise everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lordolan

Will do :)

Hi all,

Just to let ye know we start chorus rehearsals for this tonight! Please PM me for more details!

Its a great way to get out in the evening and its great fun! Plus the experience of being on stage is always fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gingerno1

Are the auditions for adults only?

Hi, Auditions were held already, but we have just started rehearsals for the adult chorus. PM me if you want details. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gingerno1

styer wrote: »
    Hi, Auditions were held already, but we have just started rehearsals for the adult chorus. PM me if you want details. :-)
    Oops sorry, didn't realize that your post was 4 mths ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement