Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smooth newt

Options
  • 20-09-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Two of my friends rang me tonight in a panic saying they had found a baby lizard in the middle of the road, i am an animal person but i have no experience with exotics so started ringing around to find out what to do. Through another friend I was put through to someone who runs a sanctuary for exotics, they in turn got in contact with some others and they all agreed it was a smooth newt.

I was told that they are rare enough in Ireland and it is illegal to trap or kill them so immediately went and released the adult female in a small stream near my house. I was also told that I should report the sighting on a website but don't know to whom I should report it to. Could anyone tell me where to report and also it would be cool to find out a bit more about this little critter, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/

On the right there under "biodiversity data", click "submit records" and follow instructions from there to record it!

Advertisement