Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway mile muncher

Options
  • 20-09-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Greetings,
    I have searched but not really found anything recent... but please do point me in the right direction if you know of a thread

So... I'm in need of a new vehicle for travelling to and from many different places around the country, just me and a laptop bag.

I've got a full UK Car but I don't have a bike licence, so would need to go back to the UK to get it and need to find something with the best possible mpg for motorway use.

Sadly all the makers report city or 'combined' mpg (L/100k) so working out motorway efficacy is so hard. I would prob look at something new/ish but depends on what and how much as depending on what it is will decide on my budget.

Any suggestions as to what to go for?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

blabley wrote: »
    So... I'm in need of a new vehicle for travelling to and from many different places around the country, just me and a laptop bag.

I've got a full UK Car but I don't have a bike licence, so would need to go back to the UK to get it and need to find something with the best possible mpg for motorway use.

Any suggestions as to what to go for?

Don't get it. Do you want to buy a car, or a bike:confused:
    Try again please...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

bluemotion passat?
    1000 miles to a tank apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

mawk wrote: »
    bluemotion passat?
    1000 miles to a tank apparently

Close enough as to not make any difference, drove one around Europe this summer and it really is a miser on diesel.

If that's a bit on the expensive side the previous generation passat with the 1.9 tdi will return a reliable 600-650 miles per tank as will the Skoda Octavia.

Other good cars on diesel:

Ford mondeo tdci
    Toyota Avensis D4D
    Vw Gold Tdi
    BMW 520d

If your looking for a cheapish car have a look for a Peugeot 407 hdi, it's a few years old but another miser on fuel and doesn't really give too much hassle either.

When doing big miles I prefer to have a nice big solid car around me, it's just a whole lot more comfortable, some people are happy enough to do it in small cars which is insane, a girl I know travels nearly 700 miles a week in a Fiat seicento and she is crippled every time she gets out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

Cheers all, I have a 2008 2.0l TDCI at the moment and get about 650 out of a tank (about 45/50mpg)... just working out if it's worthwhile changing or just keeping and running it into the ground

Cheers all, I have a 2008 2.0l TDCI at the moment and get about 650 out of a tank (about 45/50mpg)... just working out if it's worthwhile changing or just keeping and running it into the ground

Running 4 years old car into the ground is a bit extreme, don't you think?
    Is it Mondeo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Factor in a few gearboxes and the passat might work out a tad less economical

wonski wrote: »
    Don't get it. Do you want to buy a car, or a bike:confused:
    Try again please...
    Don't know, looking at options... Lot of bike will get 60+ mpg but with the extra petrol cost and the downside of not having a bike lump of metal around me, is it worth it?

I know most people buy bike (as with most of my mates) for fun not for fuel

wonski wrote: »
    Running 4 years old car into the ground is a bit extreme, don't you think?
    Is it Mondeo?
    Na, Focus Titanium. UK Reg but owned it less than the needed for the VRT exception :(

Bought and sound loads of cars when I lived back in the UK so I have a value of cars in my head and paying 2.5K tax to get it over here is what my head hurts for...

Don't know, looking at options... Lot of bike will get 60+ mpg but with the extra petrol cost and the downside of not having a bike lump of metal around me, is it worth it?

I know most people buy bike (as with most of my mates) for fun not for fuel

I have few friends who are into bikes, and they never ever quoted mpg...not a factor really. You can't compare them(bikes) with cars really in any terms.
    Different beasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

For a bike doing that mileage, you would need a very comfortable sports tourer with a shaft drive, I would only look at Hondas, maybe an ST 1100, or possibly BMW's, anything else will require a lot more maintenance. Fuel economy is not any better than a good diesel though. I'd advise you to stick to the car, get a small cheap bike, something like this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3861795 and do your test here.

If you haven't been riding for several years I wouldn't even consider the bike as an option.

• Advertisement

Na, Focus Titanium. UK Reg but owned it less than the needed for the VRT exception :(

Bought and sound loads of cars when I lived back in the UK so I have a value of cars in my head and paying 2.5K tax to get it over here is what my head hurts for...

If you can't go around vrt rules, sell the car in UK, and buy older diesel in here. Cars are a bit more expensive here - especially diesels, but there is nothing you can do about this.
    Alternatively - small petrol car. You pay extra to buy diesel in here, and if it is older than 4 years old, you pay extra in motor tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Vw Gold Tdi

A gold TDI might be a tad expensive :)
    I've only heard of a polished aluminium A8

OP - A Honda Accord is a decent mile muncher too, fairly thrifty on the motion lotion (the daysul that is).

professore wrote: »
    For a bike doing that mileage, you would need a very comfortable sports tourer with a shaft drive, I would only look at Hondas, maybe an ST 1100, or possibly BMW's, anything else will require a lot more maintenance. Fuel economy is not any better than a good diesel though. I'd advise you to stick to the car, get a small cheap bike, something like this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3861795 and do your test here.

If you haven't been riding for several years I wouldn't even consider the bike as an option.
    Yeah, that's what i was thinking as i'd need something with a decent engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just pay the VRT by the time you've bought a bike, done the test and bought another more suitable bike you'll be well over the cost to VRT for the focus.

Advertisement