Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC @ Weston

Options
  • 20-09-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey, first post here so hello to all. Long story short, I have decided to train for my PPL. I have taken an introductory flight with NFC which I really enjoyed and is the reason I now want to go on to get my PPL. It was over a year ago when I did my flight and I would like to know are they still a good place to train with? From what I saw, they seemed to have the most airplanes and the best fleet. They also seemed friendly (with the exception of one a-hole i met)

Also, I cannot remember the name of the instructor who brought me up but I would like to use him again, this is a strange question but if I rang NFC and described the guy I want to fly with do you reckon they would be able to narrow it down or would they have a record of who flew with who, if I gave them the date and my name? The main reason I am asking this is because there was one instructor there that seemed like a complete knob, sunglasses on (it was a cloudy day) and smoking in the doorway, like some school boy thinking he is the sh1t. I would absolutely hate to have to fly with him but I wouldn't have the neck to say no if I was assigned him, so I'm hoping i get the fella I had before.

One last question, is there a "good time" to start training? For example is there any point starting now when we are coming into the winter? Would you get much flying done between now and next spring?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

Hi Eoin,

I am half way through my PPL so I know where you are coming from.
    I know exactly what instructor you are talking about, and aside from your avid description of him, he is actually an excellent instructor and has a wealth of knowledge. I have heard he pushes and pushes you to learn which is a good thing.

Anyway, now is as good a time as any to start. As we are not blessed with the ideal flying conditions in ireland 365 days a year, and when you are free/available to fly, it will be hit and miss whether you do fly, so unless you are doing your training full time, start now.

NFC is a good setup. Pay as you good, flexible and structured. They are comparatively priced, but you dont need to sign up for membership or pay an annual subscription so I guess it all evens itself out that way.

If you PM'ed me with the description of the guy/gal you flew with last time, I should be able to tell you who it was. Also if you are serious about learning, do as much reading as you can and learn as much as you can absorb, cause there is a lot to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Eoin one other lesson. Aviation is a small business in this country. You have readily identified yourself and called a someone readily identifiable a 'complete knob'. Even though you have no idea what he's really like. In fact he's a good guy and a good pilot.

Don't do that.:(

As it happens in the NFC, the Instructor who took you on your first lesson has first call when it comes to training you. But the important thing to remember is that if it's not working out with an Instructor. You can change. There is no stigma attached. Sometimes there is a personality incompatibility. I changed Instructors and remain friendly with the guy I dropped. Actually I needed my ass kicked a bit more. So I got a more aggressive Instructor. It worked for me.

Bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Eoin, as all ready stated the weather in Ireland is not ideal for flying a lot of the time. So whether you start in winter or summer it is a hit and miss.

NFC do have the most aircraft out of all the schools in Weston which means most of the time it is handy enough to get a slot that suits you.

I am pretty sure I know the Instructor you are talking about as well. Yes, he does come across very arrogant and I wouldn't fancy flying with him either. In saying that I have heard he is one of the better ones. You should have got a certificate after completing your intro flight. As far as I remember the instructor you flew with would have signed that cert, maybe that will help identify him.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Eoincas1 wrote: »
    The main reason I am asking this is because there was one instructor there that seemed like a complete knob, sunglasses on (it was a cloudy day) and smoking in the doorway, like some school boy thinking he is the sh1t. I would absolutely hate to have to fly with him but I wouldn't have the neck to say no if I was assigned him, so I'm hoping i get the fella I had before.

One last question, is there a "good time" to start training? For example is there any point starting now when we are coming into the winter? Would you get much flying done between now and next spring?

Thanks!

He is actually one of the best guys in the place. I had him for CPL and he was brilliant. As long as you work and take on board what he says you will get on great with him. He also has a good knowledge of the "lesser known" skills and procedures of aviation. One smoggy day coming down from up north he blagged us a Lambay Transition off Dublin! Great experience!:D

I started my PPL in a January and sat the Flight test in March. To be honest summer and winter in Ireland have their own downsides. Winter has rain and wind and low cloud....Summer has.....rain....and wind....and low cloud...but if it is a blistering week and the sun us splitting the the stones the high pressure creates an "inversion" or "boot" which means all the crap we spew out of cars and chimney's and dusty places is trapped low in the atmosphere and vis is almost zero sometimes. Summer may have a couple more flyable days than winter...but in my experience there is very little difference between seasons as far as flight hours go.

So start whenever suits you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eoincas1

Hey, thank you all for the reply's. I'm glad to know that it shouldn't really matter whether I start summer or winter. Is it the norm to go up to the flying school and chat with the manager and get a good look around before starting the training? If so, what should I be looking out for and what questions should I ask?

I find it funny that I only described the instructor as being a knob, wears sunglasses and smokes. Surely plenty of the instructors there smoke and wear sunglasses, so why was it so easy for the four of you to realise who I am talking about? It actually just confirms to me that he must be a knob. Anyway I still think that I will try to avoid him. I cannot locate the certificate that I recieved from the flight.

Can i ask how many hours it usually takes for a student training in Ireland to get their PPL? I know its a minimum of 45 but realistically what is the average?

Has anyone been to America to complete their PPL? I see on a lot of websites that you can get it for as little as $4000 in 3 weeks. Anyone here actually do that and if so how much did it cost in total including flights, accomodation and food. Thanks

• Advertisement

Can i ask how many hours it usually takes for a student training in Ireland to get their PPL? I know its a minimum of 45 but realistically what is the average?

Has anyone been to America to complete their PPL? I see on a lot of websites that you can get it for as little as $4000 in 3 weeks. Anyone here actually do that and if so how much did it cost in total including flights, accomodation and food. Thanks

I did it in 46 but I depends what kind of aptitude you have for flying and how much work you put in. It also has a lot to do with how often you fly too.

My advice would be to avoid the States if going on to Commercial but it's doable if you want to stop at PPL. You just have to make sure it's a JAA license you are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

It actually just confirms to me that he must be a knob. Anyway I still think that I will try to avoid him.
    Everyone just told you he isn't a knob and we all know him. :rolleyes: You'll need to take stuff like that onboard. But you don't have to fly with him if you don't want to, however silly the reason.

It'll take more than 45 hours unless you go at it full time and are a total natural. 45 is minimum hours not a target. 60 or more is common.

If you visit the place just ask the same questions you're here except avoid making personal comments against people you don't know.:D If you can fly on weekdays rather than weekends you'll make for progress. Weekends are heavily booked for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

You should have gotten a first flight certificate when you did the introductory lesson and it should be signed down the bottom by the instructor you flew with, if that helps

Eoin - you probably feel like everyone is having a go and as said above dont judge someone you dont know. You are judging a book by its cover.

If when you do your Groundschool, your lucky enough to have him for any of the subjects, you will remember alot, cause he is also a good ground teacher.

Did "this instructor" even say anything to you or are you basing it all on that he was his usual chirpy self out having a smoke, more than likely planning where he was going for a few drinks later that evening........

I'd suggest that you do actually take a flight with him, I bet you will take back your comments regarding him being a knob. He might come across that way, but he's sound.

Dont go to the US if you are only going to do a PPL, the majority of your flying is going to be done in Ireland, so why not just learn in Ireland the place you intend to fly, and then venture further afield when you have more experience.

I would also suggest that you save up maybe €2000 before you start flying as money is always an issue for everyone. That way at least your first 10 lessons or so can be done relatively close together, and at that stage you probably wont be too far from solo circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭tippilot

Aviation is a very small world. Everybody knows everybody. It's not the guy in the doorway having a smoke between lessons thats coming across as a knob. Sorry someone had to say it.

• Advertisement

tippilot wrote: »
    Aviation is a very small world. Everybody knows everybody. It's not the guy in the doorway having a smoke between lessons thats coming across as a knob. Sorry someone had to say it.

Im guessing you're indirectly calling me the knob, how do you figure that? All i wanted to know was a few details about getting the PPL here and i wanted to avoid paying €200 p/H to fly with someone 'I consider' to 'Seem' like a knob.

It wasn't the fact he was standing in the doorway smoking that i think that, I was sitting in the waiting area for about 20 minutes before i went flying and he had something smart to say to every single student I saw within those 20 minutes. There was a young student in particular (I reckon 16-17 Y.O) that he was absolutely ripping the piss out of because he had ginger hair! Im not a prude and I can take a slagging and give a slagging as good as the next bloke, but you could physically see this poor young timid chap starting to get upset and anyone else would have stopped but this instructor kept going and going asking what his girlfriend thinks of his rusty balls etc. To be honest I would have being on the floor laughing if the fella was able to take it, or was throwing the slags back but he didnt seem like that type of person...and he is paying for this!!! The instructor just came across like a bit of a bully.

Anyway tippilot, I have received 3 PM's with this instructors name and people informing me that im not that far off the mark! Horses for courses and all that but I wont be flying with AM. ;)

Im guessing you're indirectly calling me the knob, how do you figure that? All i wanted to know was a few details about getting the PPL here and i wanted to avoid paying €200 p/H to fly with someone 'I consider' to 'Seem' like a knob.

It wasn't the fact he was standing in the doorway smoking that i think that, I was sitting in the waiting area for about 20 minutes before i went flying and he had something smart to say to every single student I saw within those 20 minutes. There was a young student in particular (I reckon 16-17 Y.O) that he was absolutely ripping the piss out of because he had ginger hair! Im not a prude and I can take a slagging and give a slagging as good as the next bloke, but you could physically see this poor young timid chap starting to get upset and anyone else would have stopped but this instructor kept going and going asking what his girlfriend thinks of his rusty balls etc. To be honest I would have being on the floor laughing if the fella was able to take it, or was throwing the slags back but he didnt seem like that type of person...and he is paying for this!!! The instructor just came across like a bit of a bully.

Anyway tippilot, I have received 3 PM's with this instructors name and people informing me that im not that far off the mark! Horses for courses and all that but I wont be flying with AM. ;)

Go on and confirm the instructor's name Eoin.....and if Eoin is your name I can assure you that all Eoins will be in for it in NFC now!;)

We all know what you mean and I have seen some over the top carry on from himself in the past. However he is good to fly with, has a lot of good advice and knowledge and a good laugh when you get into the air with him.

The point that is being made is that we ALL know who you are talking about, thus showing how small Irish aviation is. You have rubbed several people up the wrong way here already. I personally don't mind you and understand what you are saying. However just be aware that badmouthing aviation people openly in Ireland can lead to you getting well and truly sunk if you want an airline job. I don't know if you just want a PPL or what but even at that you want to keep a good relationship with those around the club.

Just be careful who you badmouth...it may come back to bite you in the ass!

LeftBase wrote: »
    Go on and confirm the instructor's name Eoin.....and if Eoin is your name I can assure you that all Eoins will be in for it in NFC now!;)

We all know what you mean and I have seen some over the top carry on from himself in the past. However he is good to fly with, has a lot of good advice and knowledge and a good laugh when you get into the air with him.

The point that is being made is that we ALL know who you are talking about, thus showing how small Irish aviation is. You have rubbed several people up the wrong way here already. I personally don't mind you and understand what you are saying. However just be aware that badmouthing aviation people openly in Ireland can lead to you getting well and truly sunk if you want an airline job. I don't know if you just want a PPL or what but even at that you want to keep a good relationship with those around the club.

Just be careful who you badmouth...it may come back to bite you in the ass!

I see your point Leftbase, thanks. I realise how small aviation in Ireland is and I didn't start this thread for it to be a witch hunt for this instructor, I genuinely just wanted his name so when I rang for a booking I could say I would prefer someone else. I didnt want to post 4 posts explaining why I didn't want to fly with him and I can see how it came across as bad mouthing but people were questioning what made me feel this way and I told them. Luckily for myself, and more importantly future NFC students called Eoin, Eoin is not my first name. If I do decide to go NFC I will go in with an open mind with this instructor and then make an educated decision whether I was right or not.

Well Eoin,
    When you are well and truly into aviation, you'll no doubt join www.pprune.org they will gobble you up and spit you out over there for the littlest of reasons so be glad what the responses are in here.
    Happy flying!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

NFC at Weston. They have their good and bad points. You will never just have 1 instructor, maybe 3-4 as there is a high turnover there as instructors get their jobs in ryanair. There are some great guys there, there are also some complete up the hole knobs, at least there was when I went through there. It almost seems like a little clique there and if you're on the outside, expect zero help.

Head over to Flying in Ireland and see what people there have to say. There is more than NFC at weston, have a look around and do your research first. Also check out schools in the UK. You would be surprised how much you could save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ED_student

Hi all,

I've never posted on this website before but after reading this thread I felt like I had to. As an "Eoin" who has done some flying at NFC, and plan on returning to do more, I don't want my name tarred after a post like this.

As you have basically said the name of the instructor, I know who you are talking about. Although I have never flown with this instructor I have completed ground school with him and he was one of the best. I have also heard nothing but good reports from people who have flown with him.

I didn't get to finish my PPL due to financial reasons, however I have since moved to Canada hoping to save enough to return and finish my PPL and complete CPL, ME-IR and MCC, all of which I am hoping to complete at NFC.

I have visited a few schools in Canada (done a couple of intro flights) and none of them compare to NFC. Every staff member there has only ever being nice and helpful and in my opinion its the best FTO around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 John5647543

Would not recommend the integrated course at nfc weston, training involves sitting around for days waiting for good weather with the result that you have to do things again & again with different instructors all leading to a bad training record and extra cost. The vast majority of people who have trained here don't get jobs. They have a few success examples but most of these have done a few hours often a lot more on the quiet with a friend or relative before they start the integrated course. As regards the pay as you go option, never , never ever do this, you will get all your licences but you will never get an airline job. Recruiters want to see somone who has completed all the targets in the 18month time frame, they don't want someone who has a record stretched out over years because this does not show them that you can meet challenging dealines within a given timeframe which is what they want. Aerlingus, british airways, easyjet, emirates etc etc, train their cadets at FTE Jerez, CTC wings & CAE Oxford Aviation. If you look at the linkedin profiles of ryanair pilots the vast majority will have trained at one of these, Maybe 2 or 3 will have trained at nfc. If you want the best chance of training and getting a job its best to save up the cash and do an integrated course at one of these. It also helps to have practice done without any record kept and have fully studied all the academic material before you start the official course. This will help you to have that all important excellent training record ie all tests past with the minimum training required and in the 18 month timeframe. It says to recruiters that you are a fast learner, intelligent, able to meet deadlines under stress and well organised which is what they want. You can't do this sitting around waiting for good weather at weston which is despite their best efforts the vast majority of their past students have never got airline jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 John5647543

Would not recommend the integrated course at nfc weston, training involves sitting around for days waiting for good weather with the result that you have to do things again & again with different instructors all leading to a bad training record and extra cost. The vast majority of people who have trained here don't get jobs. They have a few success examples but most of these have done a few hours often a lot more on the quiet with a friend or relative before they start the integrated course. As regards the pay as you go option, never , never ever do this, you will get all your licences but you will never get an airline job. Recruiters want to see somone who has completed all the targets in the 18month time frame, they don't want someone who has a record stretched out over years because this does not show them that you can meet challenging dealines within a given timeframe which is what they want. Aerlingus, british airways, easyjet, emirates etc etc, train their cadets at FTE Jerez, CTC wings & CAE Oxford Aviation. If you look at the linkedin profiles of ryanair pilots the vast majority will have trained at one of these, Maybe 2 or 3 will have trained at nfc. If you want the best chance of training and getting a job its best to save up the cash and do an integrated course at one of these. It also helps to have practice done without any record kept and have fully studied all the academic material before you start the official course. This will help you to have that all important excellent training record ie all tests past with the minimum training required and in the 18 month timeframe. It says to recruiters that you are a fast learner, intelligent, able to meet deadlines under stress and well organised which is what they want. You can't do this sitting around waiting for good weather at weston which is despite their best efforts the vast majority of their past students have never got airline jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Two Year old thread locked.

Dont drag up threads over a year please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement