Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence

Options
  • 20-09-2012 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Our son (30yrs) is living at home with us, single and unemployed. Although we are happy to have him at home, and in truth I prefer him at home, there are times when things get a bit strained on both sides and we understand he needs his own independence. What is the situation regarding rent allowance if he got his own place? He would need us to pay his rent until he got rent allowance. How long would that take? There is only one salary coming in to the house for 4 adults and things are pretty stretched both financially and emotionally right now. Or would he be financially better off staying at home? Would appreciate some advice please if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

You have to be renting for six months+ and he'll have to put he's name on the housing list, better off going into the cwo and she'll tell you everything you need to know, my friend is renting with rent allowance he pays €100a week for the house and he has to pay €48 a week out of he's dole.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, but am not really familiar with SW system. What is the 'cwo'? Also if your friend's rent is €100 and he is paying only €48, how is the rest paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, but am not really familiar with SW system. What is the 'cwo'? Also if your friend's rent is €100 and he is paying only €48, how is the rest paid?

CWO is community welfare officer. You can go to them for different things. They're sort of a "if you really need help". Like if you needed a new washing machine or a decent suit for a job interview.

The poster's friend is getting rent allowance. So the welfare would pay part of it and your son would pay part of the rest (assuming he was getting it).
    You'd still need to be renting for six months I believe to even qualify for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Gosh, didn't really know that about cwo's. I would have thought you'd need to be homeless and starving! Anyway, six months rent is a lot of money - we need to go back to the drawing board I think! Thanks again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Note the part where it says "Have been assessed by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing in the last 12 months. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement. Rent Supplement is not payable while the local authority is carrying out a housing needs assessment"
    This way nobody moves out until you will know if rent allowance is gettable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement