Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following up an agent

Options
  • 20-09-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice here. I've written a novel and that and started sending it off to a few agents a couple of months ago. Now most of them I haven't heard back from yet, but I have had a couple of requests for the full MS, which obviously I've provided :P The first request I got for a full MS was from an agent back in July, there was a bit of a rigmarole trying to get it to him (it wouldn't attach for me :eek:) but he was very interested and I eventually got it off, phew!! Anyway that was back in the middle of July and I haven't heard anything from him since, so I was wondering if I should perhaps follow it up, and if so, how I should go about it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Generally, I'd say to allow three months before you expect a yes or no. But it would be no harm to drop an e-mail asking if they got your MS intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Hi Eileen, thanks for the reply :) He did let me know he got the full script, so I guess I will give it another few weeks before thinking about it again. Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

As Eileen says, it's a good idea to give them a bit of time (reading new work isn't the top priority for most agents - dealing with their current clients comes first) before following up.

Unless you've granted an exclusive, though, it's probably worth sending it out to a couple more agents just to keep yourself sane while waiting! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Quick update here, it's been 3 and a half months now, feel I should chase this agent up (I have been sending it to others, and one other has asked for the complete MS as well), but I'm not really sure what I should say! Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

3.5 months is above and beyond standard waiting times with most agents - I certainly wouldn't be keeping my script in a drawer until I heard back from this guy. It's absolutely no harm to forward an email asking if he has gotten around to reading your MS, whether he has any interest in pursuing it and if he has any pertinent feedback or advice. Otherwise, I think you might be waiting for a very long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement