Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding Pregnancy and Employment Rights

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Mates girlfriend broke her water recently, and went into the hospital. When she informed the employer an hour before she was meant to start her shift, they warned her that her job is at risk.

I'm looking for any links that I can pass onto my mate to pass onto his girlfriend. Feel free to PM me any solicitors that deal in this area that you have used, as I'd like to refer my mate to legal consul, as the employers seem to be bullies.

On a side note, she has brought in a doctors note in the past saying that she should be put on less hours as she's pregnant, but they said it was not sufficient. It's because of this that I think the employers may get a case of the stupids, and thus would like to refer my mate to either legal consul, or a support group that deals with these things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I'd say first port of call would be your/her local citizens information office for advice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

NERA are great for this sort of thing too.

Her waters broke and her employers threatened her like that? They're very stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

January wrote: »
    Her waters broke and her employers threatened her like that? They're very stupid.
    Agreed. Whether you're in the right or the wrong, threatening a woman on maternity leave is monumentally stupid.

The only possible scenario I can think of their actions being justified is if she didn't give the employer notice within a reasonable amount of time.

That is, if her waters broke at 4pm the day before, she went into hospital and was settled by 10pm, but then didn't call her employer until 9am the next day, then there might be fair reason there for the employer to issue a warning. It certainly wouldn't anything close to a "your job is at risk" warning though, and it would very much depend on her state - if she was in the throes all labour all night, then her employer comes dead last on her list of priorities and no court would say otherwise.

As above, she should talk to NERA for advice on how to handle the employer.

Advertisement