Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saor/Sat Combo Box Comparison

Options
  • 20-09-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to get a Saor/Sat combo box for the house this weekend, the two boxes I am considering are the ferguson ariva 150 and the Triax TSC114.

Just wondering can anyone tell me are there any major differences between the two? Pros and cons etc or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I was hoping to get a Saor/Sat combo box for the house this weekend, the two boxes I am considering are the ferguson ariva 150 and the Triax TSC114.

Just wondering can anyone tell me are there any major differences between the two? Pros and cons etc or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks!
    The former can be got for €90, the latter €180. The latter is Saorview approved, the former is not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

detective wrote: »
    The former can be got for €90, the latter €180. The latter is Saorview approved, the former is not!!

Ok, well, thanks for that.

I was thinking more along the lines of technical ability. I know the TSC114 doesn't, but does the ariva have a 7 day EPG for the UK channels? Can I record Saorview and watch a Sat channel (and vice versa) on the arvia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Ok, well, thanks for that.

I was thinking more along the lines of technical ability. I know the TSC114 doesn't, but does the ariva have a 7 day EPG for the UK channels?

No.
    Can I record Saorview and watch a Sat channel (and vice versa) on the arvia?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

The Saorview approved box has 7 day guide for the Irish channels only.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

looking at the tv trade.ie website - what combo will give the 7 day on both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Saorview TSC114 Saorview approved 7day guide on rte channels, now and next on sat channels. Teletext on rte channels.

Ferguson Ariva 150. Not saorview approved, now and next only on all channels, no telextext on rte channels. Has a portal for youtube, and a few more which works very well.

Both have a usb ready recording facilites both far from perfect and both will play a large variety of movie formats.

Personally I prefer the Triax combo but its way 2 over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

The best way for the average user to get 7 day guide for both is to use 2 boxes. One for Saorview and a seperate FreeSAT branded box for the UK channels. In this way you get 7 day guide on both.

There are some ways to get both, but no simple off the shelf options. The main issue is that FreeSAT and Saorview are different systems and FreeSAT will not allow their guide to be used on other boxes.

Advertisement