Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Black Screen?

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Where would you start looking for the cause of these?:(

Totally random. Could be 4 today then maybe none for a month.

Anyone know a common cause?

It's not a fresh install and doesn't happen soon after login.

A Google is no help.

Absolutely hate troubleshooting Bluescreens, these are worse.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Where would you start looking for the cause of these?:(

Totally random. Could be 4 today then maybe none for a month.

Anyone know a common cause?

It's not a fresh install and doesn't happen soon after login.

A Google is no help.

Absolutely hate troubleshooting Bluescreens, these are worse.

Graphics card, faulty drivers, crashing startup item (Itunes on my old laptop used to cause this occasionally, I had to uninstall it (no loss though :pac: )), memory issues, hard drive issues, system file corruption issues. Some of the stuff that can cause them in my expierience. Other disk drives such as external drives, mp3 players etc could also cause this, as well as an disconnected network share (guessing).
    Also had a laptop recently to fix that took 5 minutes to shut down (decent spec), the culprit was soundmax audio drivers. you probably wouldn't associate soundcard drivers with such a problem, but they were the sole cause so worth updating all drivers if possible.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

yoyo wrote: »
    Graphics card, faulty drivers, crashing startup item (Itunes on my old laptop used to cause this occasionally, I had to uninstall it (no loss though :pac: )), memory issues, hard drive issues, system file corruption issues. Some of the stuff that can cause them in my expierience. Other disk drives such as external drives, mp3 players etc could also cause this, as well as an disconnected network share (guessing).
    Also had a laptop recently to fix that took 5 minutes to shut down (decent spec), the culprit was soundmax audio drivers. you probably wouldn't associate soundcard drivers with such a problem, but they were the sole cause so worth updating all drivers if possible.

Nick
    Ah jaysus yoyo, you named everything!:pac:

I'll put it off till SAT, HATE it.

What's best way/tool now to test a GPU? Ever come across old BIOS causing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Try this as it's an old problem, it might sort it... http://www.ghacks.net/2009/12/01/windows-7-black-screen-of-death-fix/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ah jaysus yoyo, you named everything!:pac:

I'll put it off till SAT, HATE it.

What's best way/tool now to test a GPU? Ever come across old BIOS causing them?
    I usually use Furmark to stress test GPUs, its probably the best one out there (being honest, only one I know of ;))

Nick

Advertisement