Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trace email address

Options
  • 19-09-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

i got an email from a person i dont know very well and i think the email address is from a fake person

Is it possible to trace an email??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fordy72

Hi!

Try entering the address in pipl.com

Might be helpful to you.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What are you using to view the email?

You can view email headers which should tell you the route the mail took to get into your inbox. So if you've received an email from X@gmail.com and you view the Received part of the email header and it comes from somewhere in Nigeria you know you've probably got a forged email :)

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/892/Understanding+an+email+header

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Fordy72 wrote: »
    Hi!

Try entering the address in pipl.com

Might be helpful to you.

M.

I tried and nothing came up so from that can I take it that its fake??...or can one never tell

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Timfy

You can check if an email address is attached to a known spammer by searching on the address here

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

(Note: I have no link to the site in question other than using it to maintain a forum blacklist)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fordy72

...Like most things - proceed with caution I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Lads can you not trace the country from the IP address. I've never had to do it but if you reveal the full header you can get the IP adress of the sender and just google IP adress locator, if it's from a country you don't know anyone from well then..

Advertisement