Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Train From Cork

Options
  • 19-09-2012 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

Our Good Friend Joe St. Ledger Caught The Last Train . At 7.20pm Tonight.
    We Will all Miss Him. As there was no where in Ireland for the last 50 years , where a Train Went you would find Joe, Taking A snap or a Silent Movie, May he Rest In Peace.
    as we will be thinking of him in our Prayers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EDIT: I get it now, oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

The Irish railway photographic community has lost a most prominent member this evening.
    Regrettably I only had the pleasure of meeting Joe a couple times, the last time been the day the Luas extension opened to Brides Glen, where Joe was out recording the day's events. This was typical of Joe who was prolific with recording the railway scene for the best part of fifty years, capturing many firsts and lasts on the network and everything else in between.
    May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

what?

Joe St Leger was one of the most well know transport enthusiast and active IRRS members in Ireland, let alone Munster. Grab an old book, Journal or magazine from the 70's and 80's and chances are that one of his photo's or articles were included. JD was a good friend of him and when he gets a chance he will be the right man to pay tribute to Joe.

May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

I remember Joe appearing from the ditch complete with camera near Lavistown when they were constructing the curve. Frightened the life out of me!!! In my opinion he was the greatest photographer to take a picture of an Irish train. Lets hope his collection is safe.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I first met Joe back in the late 1970s when we both used to frequent the RPSI ‘two-day’ tours. It turned out that we had another connection as I worked with his brother Pat in Eason & Son Wholesale Books. Over the years we became firm friends and Joe was present for everything of railway (and family) significance that I was involved in, from the GSRPS (Mallow); the Narrow Gauge Trust at Cahir and latterly the C&L project at Domod. Joe photographed my Grandmother's funeral; my wedding and my children's christenings - God help us I thought he would be at my funeral!

One of nature's gentleman - like his brothers Pat & John - they broke the mould when the made the St.Legers. Joe had a mischievous sense of humour but never spoke ill of anybody and I doubt whether he will mind me now revealing that it was he who first coined the "chicken dinner" expression. :D

Joe was a mine of information on long closed lines, last trains, first trains and the permanent way – you just had to know how to draw it out of him. His photographic exploits are legendary and continued until shortly before his death. When most of us would be safely tucked up in bed Joe could be found photographing some obscure permanent way night time possession or bridge replacement in the middle of nowhere.

Joe%2B005.JPG
    GSRPS workparty at Mallow Beet Factory 1988

Despite not having embraced the digital era, and using the most obsolete equipment, Joe continued to turn out the most interesting photographs. The ones accompanying this post were self-shot using his trusty tripod – held up with matchsticks . Many of Joe’s pictures are available online and it’s just a pity that a book solely containing his work wasn’t published during his lifetime – I often suggested it but the organization of such a project proved too much for all concerned.

Joe%2B002.JPG
    Last of the E401 class at Mullingar Scrapyard - 1980s.

I was speaking to his brother John during the week and he was amazed, and delighted, when I told him of all the tributes being paid to Joe online http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2624/Re-Joe-St-Leger?page=-1#.UF2dfrJlRKQ and there's more to come.

I have many happy memories of trips with Joe on various weedspray trains and other adventures; of drink taken and stories told in a myriad of railway related pubs - including the "Handlebars" across the road from Cork station, the late lamented Cork station buffet; "The Nazi" in Mallow, "The Railway Bar" in Cahir, "The Bit & Bridle" at Limerick Junction and, of course, "The Railway Bar" in Lixnaw.

Joe%2B004.JPG
    "The Railway Bar" Lixnaw - an oasis. 1989

Joe was not just a 'camera swinging' enthusiast and was more than willing to lend a hand with the physical work - when let! I can still remembering him appearing at Mallow back in 1985 on the morning of the "Sea Breezes Express" to Youghal with a needle and thread, and of him setting to work stitching upholstery on one of the carriages to be used on the special.
    Another memory that stays with me was the day he was drowned by the weedspray train at Abbeydorney while filming from the lineside - still he had his mack on and most of his cameras were protected in the Roches Stores bags!

I'll miss the securely wrapped envelopes that would arrive from time to time - usually unrequested - which could contain photos of anything from some recent event to something from the 1950s. Joe never looked for payment or acknowledgement for his photographs and was the soul of generosity to all of us who were fortunate enough to know him.

Joe%2B001.JPG
    Caught red-handed late 1960s

I hope now that he has gone to a better place he will soon be renewing his acquaintances with his many railway pals gone before him such as Wally McGrath, Leo Delaney and Colm Creedon. Joe was my friend and I'm privileged to have known him - may the sod rest lightly on his gentle soul.

I first met Joe back in the late 1970s when we both used to frequent the RPSI ‘two-day’ tours. It turned out that we had another connection as I worked with his brother Pat in Eason & Son Wholesale Books. Over the years we became firm friends and Joe was present for everything of railway (and family) significance that I was involved in, from the GSRPS (Mallow); the Narrow Gauge Trust at Cahir and latterly the C&L project at Domod. Joe photographed my Grandmother's funeral; my wedding and my children's christenings - God help us I thought he would be at my funeral!

One of nature's gentleman - like his brothers Pat & John - they broke the mould when the made the St.Legers. Joe had a mischievous sense of humour but never spoke ill of anybody and I doubt whether he will mind me now revealing that it was he who first coined the "chicken dinner" expression. :D

Joe was a mine of information on long closed lines, last trains, first trains and the permanent way – you just had to know how to draw it out of him. His photographic exploits are legendary and continued until shortly before his death. When most of us would be safely tucked up in bed Joe could be found photographing some obscure permanent way night time possession or bridge replacement in the middle of nowhere.

Joe%2B005.JPG
    GSRPS workparty at Mallow Beet Factory 1988

Despite not having embraced the digital era, and using the most obsolete equipment, Joe continued to turn out the most interesting photographs. The ones accompanying this post were self-shot using his trusty tripod – held up with matchsticks . Many of Joe’s pictures are available online and it’s just a pity that a book solely containing his work wasn’t published during his lifetime – I often suggested it but the organization of such a project proved too much for all concerned.

Joe%2B002.JPG
    Last of the E401 class at Mullingar Scrapyard - 1980s.

I was speaking to his brother John during the week and he was amazed, and delighted, when I told him of all the tributes being paid to Joe online http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2624/Re-Joe-St-Leger?page=-1#.UF2dfrJlRKQ and there's more to come.

I have many happy memories of trips with Joe on various weedspray trains and other adventures; of drink taken and stories told in a myriad of railway related pubs - including the "Handlebars" across the road from Cork station, the late lamented Cork station buffet; "The Nazi" in Mallow, "The Railway Bar" in Cahir, "The Bit & Bridle" at Limerick Junction and, of course, "The Railway Bar" in Lixnaw.

Joe%2B004.JPG
    "The Railway Bar" Lixnaw - an oasis. 1989

Joe was not just a 'camera swinging' enthusiast and was more than willing to lend a hand with the physical work - when let! I can still remembering him appearing at Mallow back in 1985 on the morning of the "Sea Breezes Express" to Youghal with a needle and thread, and of him setting to work stitching upholstery on one of the carriages to be used on the special.
    Another memory that stays with me was the day he was drowned by the weedspray train at Abbeydorney while filming from the lineside - still he had his mack on and most of his cameras were protected in the Roches Stores bags!

I'll miss the securely wrapped envelopes that would arrive from time to time - usually unrequested - which could contain photos of anything from some recent event to something from the 1950s. Joe never looked for payment or acknowledgement for his photographs and was the soul of generosity to all of us who were fortunate enough to know him.

Joe%2B001.JPG
    Caught red-handed late 1960s

I hope now that he has gone to a better place he will soon be renewing his acquaintances with his many railway pals gone before him such as Wally McGrath, Leo Delaney and Colm Creedon. Joe was my friend and I'm privileged to have known him - may the sod rest lightly on his gentle soul.

JD,you are a humble man.

As always you tell it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

a fine post JD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have enjoyed Joe's wonderful pictures over the years and I am saddened on news of his passing.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement