Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish defence forces recruit training?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am hoping to start in November, i am not being arrogant or over confident i am just trying to prepare for the possibility thats all.

There is another recruit platoon being inducted at the end of Novemeber, so its about 2 months until then. What should i do to prepare for recruit training if i am lucky enough to get in? What training can i do myself in the next 2 months to help me out in training, please dont say its not enough time im not looking to get super fit i just want to have done something in that time.

Also what can i expect in recruit training? Thanks a lot for any responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

holohw wrote: »
    I am hoping to start in November, i am not being arrogant or over confident i am just trying to prepare for the possibility thats all.

There is another recruit platoon being inducted at the end of Novemeber, so its about 2 months until then. What should i do to prepare for recruit training if i am lucky enough to get in? What training can i do myself in the next 2 months to help me out in training, please dont say its not enough time im not looking to get super fit i just want to have done something in that time.

Also what can i expect in recruit training? Thanks a lot for any responses.
    expect a lot of crap from your directive staff to put discipline into the whole lot of ye and to get ye working as a team and not an individual or as known in the DF a mé féinner!!! there's gonna be a lot of push ups, running, footdrills,arms training and lectures to do with your training, take in everything your shown as everything will be benefit to you when your tactical phase starts as this is what the training is all about!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 holohw

cool so ill just have to go and start running for the two months and hope it isn't for nothing, push ups shouldn't be too bad but no harm in doing them anyway, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

cool so ill just have to go and start running for the two months and hope it isn't for nothing, push ups shouldn't be too bad but no harm in doing them anyway, thanks

Work on core as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ok,

Can you run 5 miles non stop in under an hour? If so, that will do at the start.

Do 20 push ups and sit ups 5 - 10 times a day. You will be doing plenty of them, may as well get used to it.

Expect:

Shouting
    Early mornings
    Late nights
    Standing still
    Crawling on your stomach
    Lots of running and push ups
    Stress
    Time restaints and tight deadlines
    Lots of cleaning
    "Yes Corporal"
    "Im waiting on my buddy"

I could go on and on and Ariston. Just remember this.

Recruit Training is hard, it's meant to be hard. You will be told to do A LOT of things that you think are stupid and pointless, never the less, you will have to do them. Everything is done for a reason whether you understand at the time or not.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Take plenty of rest, don't pick up an injury. *That* would be the worst thing that can happen to you at this point, presuming you're successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

benwavner wrote: »
    Ok,

Can you run 5 miles non stop in under an hour? If so, that will do at the start.

Do 20 push ups and sit ups 5 - 10 times a day. You will be doing plenty of them, may as well get used to it.

Expect:

Shouting
    Early mornings
    Late nights
    Standing still
    Crawling on your stomach
    Lots of running and push ups
    Stress
    Time restaints and tight deadlines
    Lots of cleaning
    "Yes Corporal"
    "Im waiting on my buddy"

I could go on and on and Ariston. Just remember this.

Recruit Training is hard, it's meant to be hard. You will be told to do A LOT of things that you think are stupid and pointless, never the less, you will have to do them. Everything is done for a reason whether you understand at the time or not.

Best of luck.

Don't forget "heat seeker", one thing you do not want to be! Learning how to stitch and iron (don't laugh) might be useful skills to pick up as well, if you don't already have them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

When I went to Basic, the First Sergeant at the Reception Battalion gave us some parting words before we went to meet our Drill Sergeants and start our little holiday. They are probably just as accurate in Ireland as they were in the US.
    The fastest way out of here is to graduate. If you quit and try to get thrown out, at worst you will find yourself behind bars for a while before being discharged, or at best you will be placed on menial details like grass cutting while the discharge paperwork is processed, that tends to take some time. You all volunteered to come here, so the system works on the basis that you want to be here.

If you want to graduate, I give you three simple pieces of advice to follow.
    1) Do what you're told.
    2) Do what you're told.
    3) Damnit, do what you're told

Follow those three pieces of advice, and you will be successful

And he was right.

The system works on the basis that you were able to meet a certain standard just to get in the door. Run at a certain speed, have a certain level of co-ordination, a measurable level of intelligence, and so on. You will not be expected to perform an tasks at a higher level than that standard when you start, but the training program will get you there by the time you come out the other end. Of course, if you're already a marathon runner and world class weightlifter when you get in the door, it will be easier, but it is not required.

The only thing you must do is show up where you're told to show up, when you're told to show up and with whatever you were told to show up with.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

People bang on about "try to be the grey man" but I disagree with it. If you think you can do something well, crack on. On the other hand, try not to be the keenest man in Nato.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RugbyLad1992

discus wrote: »
    People bang on about "try to be the grey man" but I disagree with it. If you think you can do something well, crack on. On the other hand, try not to be the keenest man in Nato.

is ireland in nato?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Whoooops...well, accually is dolan.

Not sure. They're part of ISAF, which is a Nato mission right?

Ok, keenest man in the UN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

is ireland in nato?

Nope.

ISAF is NATO-led, but there's loads of non-NATO forces involved, like the Aussies, the Georgians, the Swedes, the RoKs, and of course, little ol' Ireland with (I think) 8 bods.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

You would have to prepare to be tired for a prolonged period.
    But bear in mind training is training and much tougher than normal life in the DF

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RugbyLad1992

Wasnt being smart just wondering. "keenest man in the UN" doesnt sound right atal :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Recruit training is tough, at times exceptionally tough esp. in the first few weeks.

I think a lot of young recruits get big moments of doubt in their ability to soldier, I know I certainly did.

Two pieces of advice I was given and I carry to this day (28 years later and still serving) is;

1. When in doubt and feeling like throwing in the towel remember that as a recruit you'll never be asked to do something humanly impossible ~ take a look at the bag of ham walking into the dinning hall and tell yourself if he/she done it you can too.

2. NEVER, EVER make a Monday morning decision!.. This comes after a few weeks when you might be let out for the weekend, you meet your civilian mates and see how easy civilian life is again and you think you can't go through another week of this bullsh*t.. Tell yourself (on Monday morning), 'self, leave tomorrow' ~ and you'll see anything through!.

Oh, someone menioned staying injury free!.. This is very, very important as recruit training is physically very tough and if you come in injured you'll carry it right through training and will get very little time to rehab it.

Oh yea like others said, expect lots of shouting LOTS!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 millsap83

Just received an email on Monday saying I was accepted, needless to say I was over the moon. They haven't exactly said when or where I will be doing the training as of yet but I was just wondering what kind of things you should bring with you for the 17 week recruit training? I know we wouldn't have much time for anything other than what is at hand during training but would we be permitted to bring a laptop or is that a stupid question? I was also wondering what the story is when it comes to Christmas, will we be let off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

millsap83 wrote: »
    Just received an email on Monday saying I was accepted, needless to say I was over the moon. They haven't exactly said when or where I will be doing the training as of yet but I was just wondering what kind of things you should bring with you for the 17 week recruit training? I know we wouldn't have much time for anything other than what is at hand during training but would we be permitted to bring a laptop or is that a stupid question? I was also wondering what the story is when it comes to Christmas, will we be let off?

You will be emailed a kit list. Dont bother with the laptop. You will get time off a Christmas.

Just wondering do you get fit in training or do you have to be fit going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I was hoping staying at the level I was at for the fitness test would be enough. The rest will be part of the training itself. Is that right? Not too late to start doing a bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Richie15 wrote: »
    I was hoping staying at the level I was at for the fitness test would be enough. The rest will be part of the training itself. Is that right? Not too late to start doing a bit more...

You'd be better off being fitter than "I passed the fitness test" fit going in but if not, you'll still survive.

As for further training, you'll be doing more than enough PT that you'll be fit enough to carry out the tasks you're asked to do.

• Advertisement

Also, get away from the idea that you're going to just be doing 16 weeks training and heading off to your Unit. You won't be. You're looking at roughly 28 weeks training.

It's going to be ****, nobody will be nice to you, you'll be wet, miserable, tired, feeling sorry for yourself and everything else at some stage. Stick together with the lads around ya, take nothing personally and just remember, it all ends eventually.

Take things as they come, stay positive and you'll be standing on the square, in your No. 1's, happy as a pig in ****e at the end of it.

yeah i have been told it is going to be horrible can i ask what the hardest part of recruit training is? is it the PT or the early mornings and long days? or just constantly being shouted at?

yeah i have been told it is going to be horrible can i ask what the hardest part of recruit training is? is it the PT or the early mornings and long days? or just constantly being shouted at?

It all has it's moments.

There'll be days where you won't be feeling too fresh on PT, where you're not in the mood for an inspection, not in the mood to have people shouting at you, not in the mood for beastings, not in the mood to stay up past lights out to get kit boxed off and so on.

You'll have your off days but all you can do is just crack on. Have the craic when ya can, get a bit of honk in when ya can and get stuck into the training. A bit of enthusiasm and optimism will make it that bit easier.

yeah i suppose staying positive will help, id say the mental aspect is a big thing? is there anything you can do at home to prepare yourself at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

yeah i suppose staying positive will help, id say the mental aspect is a big thing? is there anything you can do at home to prepare yourself at all?

Get in the habit of getting up early. It will make life easier if you are acclimatised to it before rather than during your training. Practise ironing, sewing and polishing. Get fit.

Prepare yourself while at home?

The only thing I'd do while at home before heading off is training, spending time with people who's company I enjoy, chasing women and drinking... A heap of drinking.

Seriously, enjoy yourself before you go. Don't worry about preparing yourself before ya go... No matter what, it'll be nothing like you expected. Have the craic before ya leave so once times are hard, you've plenty of good times to keep ya ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Can anyone give an honest answer on what leave you get over the 17 weeks? I've heard so many conflicting stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

RedWolfCQB wrote: »
    Can anyone give an honest answer on what leave you get over the 17 weeks? I've heard so many conflicting stories!

Off maybe the first or second weekend in to give you a chance to buy bits and pieces, off a week and a bit for Xmas.

After that it is the instructors discretion if you are good enough as a platoon or not to get leave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Survival tip: Remember than tens of thousands of people have gone through before you and survived. Probably in more unpleasant conditions. If they can do it, why the hell can't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

just remember when the going gets tough, they can't shoot you, and they can't make you pregnant*!

*something the section commander used to say to us

Advertisement