Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10.8.2 is out!

Options
  • 19-09-2012 6:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Apparently with the long awaited battery life improvements!
    This update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users, and includes new features and fixes:

Facebook

- Single sign on for Facebook
    - Adds Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
    - See Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
    - Facebook notifications now appear in Notification Center

Game Center

- Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages
    - Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
    - Added Facebook "Like" button for games
    - Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement

Other new features

- Adds Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
    - iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
    - You can now add passes to Passbook (on your iPhone or iPod touch) from Safari and Mail on your Mac
    - FaceTime can now receive calls sent to your phone number
    - New shared Reminders lists
    - New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
    - Dictation now supports additional languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
    - Dictionary app now includes a French definition dictionary
    - Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Now that the battery issue seems sorted I'm contemplating this.

I've read that ML restores the zippyness of SL that was lost when Lion was brought in.

Is this true ML users ? I dislike the Lion sluggishness

(Incidentally - anyone else suspect that Apple have adopted Intel's Tick-Tock approach to their hardware (ip4, 4s, 5) and software (SL, L, ML) updates ??? I see a tick tock type trend at least!!)

Oh - software update just told me 10.7.5 is out including gatekeeper!
    Was this expected ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, they are definitely following the tick-tock model. You can see them starting to do it with their iOS updates as well. iOS 6 was a fairly minor update compared to iOS 5 (which had iCloud, etc). Also, the tick-tocks of software and hardware aren't in sync, so the major hardware update is accompanied by a minor software update, and so on.

I didn't have an performance issues with Lion, but ML does seem snappier. I would generally agree with those who say ML is what Lion should have been. Or least it's Apple finishing what they started with Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've stuck to 10.8.0 until now but I think I'll pull the trigger on 10.8.2 tonight. That said, haven't experienced the battery issues some have on 10.8.0! I think I'm just really lucky with computers!

Yeah, they are definitely following the tick-tock model. You can see them starting to do it with their iOS updates as well. iOS 6 was a fairly minor update compared to iOS 5 (which had iCloud, etc). Also, the tick-tocks of software and hardware aren't in sync, so the major hardware update is accompanied by a minor software update, and so on.

I didn't have an performance issues with Lion, but SL does seem snappier. I would generally agree with those who say SL is what Lion should have been. Or least it's Apple finishing what they started with Lion.

Agreed the ticks & tocks seem to be out of synch between hardware and software - I'd imagine that is deliberate - not too much major dramas at anyone time!!

Ah yes I agree SL is snappier than Lion. But what I want to know is - is ML snappier than Lion. I've seen some claims to that effect but I was wondering what peoples experience is here as I may upgrade if its true now that the battery issue is fixed!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry, I actually meant ML, not SL. All these bloody acronyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

MBP now reporting 10 hours battery after I unplugged it on 10.8.2! It boots in less than 10 seconds.

Hallowed be the solid state drive.

Sorry, I actually meant ML, not SL. All these bloody acronyms.

They should call the next one Liliger :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19633192

Advertisement