Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Disability Allowance outside 21 days.

Options
  • 19-09-2012 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have moderate/severe depression and anxiety, on meds that have continued to rise and am in the care of a clinical psychologist and a consultant psychiatrist. I applied for disability, but at the time I was still on the waiting list to see the psychologist. I was turned down.

Now, I wasn't able to appeal in the 21 days. My psychiatrist was in the process of moving to a different country and was on sick leave. And I was very unstable.

I read -somewhere- that if new evidence came to light that you could apply outside the 21 days, now I can't remember where I read it! I got word back today that they can't accept the appeal cause its outside the 21 days. But I clearly stated in the appeal at -least- twice the reasons why I was unable to..

Does anyone know anything that might help me? I can't work for many days or else I become unsteady, the job I had is gone, I can't sign on because I need to be signed fit for work and my GP won't do that cause I'm not fit...

I don't know what to do and I'm running very close to the end of my rope again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭winsumlusum

FraochNM wrote: »
    I have moderate/severe depression and anxiety, on meds that have continued to rise and am in the care of a clinical psychologist and a consultant psychiatrist. I applied for disability, but at the time I was still on the waiting list to see the psychologist. I was turned down.

Now, I wasn't able to appeal in the 21 days. My psychiatrist was in the process of moving to a different country and was on sick leave. And I was very unstable.

I read -somewhere- that if new evidence came to light that you could apply outside the 21 days, now I can't remember where I read it! I got word back today that they can't accept the appeal cause its outside the 21 days. But I clearly stated in the appeal at -least- twice the reasons why I was unable to..

Does anyone know anything that might help me? I can't work for many days or else I become unsteady, the job I had is gone, I can't sign on because I need to be signed fit for work and my GP won't do that cause I'm not fit...

I don't know what to do and I'm running very close to the end of my rope again...
    Ask welfare if you can apply again.Tell them you have new info. Ask in writing.Ask for reply in writing. keep copies of all correspondence. . If they phone you tell them you want the reply in writing and do not get into discussing it on phone unless you feel a resolution is possible.

If turned down make a freedom of Information Request to welfare for all your files and reasons why you were turned down.

Also if turned down or otherwise unhappy with the outcome make a complaint to the Ombudsman enclosing copies of all the correspondence or if you want you can make an online complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Good advice Winsumlusum. Only problem is that all of your suggestions, while there's nothing wrong with them,will take ages,as in the best part of a year, unfortunately. Appealing a negative decision will take up to 3 months to get a decision. FOI will take 6-8 weeks. Appealing to the Ombudsman up to 4 months. Add to this the time it takes for the initial application to be processed and wits end time is rapidly approaching. Unfortunately thats the way these things have gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭winsumlusum

Good advice Winsumlusum. Only problem is that all of your suggestions, while there's nothing wrong with them,will take ages,as in the best part of a year, unfortunately. Appealing a negative decision will take up to 3 months to get a decision. FOI will take 6-8 weeks. Appealing to the Ombudsman up to 4 months. Add to this the time it takes for the initial application to be processed and wits end time is rapidly approaching. Unfortunately thats the way these things have gone :(
    a good reason to start immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FraochNM

Thanks guys, Some good advice there. I phoned (or rather got someone else who wouldn't end up breaking down over the phone to) the office and was put through to someone who didn't really know what to do next (surprising!). They suggest reapplying or write to the head of the office. It is more time either way, I think I will write but also have a new appeal ready to go so I don't have to relive the past few years more than I have to...

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

In addition to submitting a new application to cover yourself - it may also be open for you to argue a case under the "reasonable accomodation" provisions of the Equal Status Acts.

http://www.equality.ie/Files/Reasonable%20Accommodation%20of%20People%20With%20Disabilities%20in%20the%20Provision%20of%20Goods%20and%20Services.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FraochNM

Wow thanks! I will have to look into that now! Thank you so much!

Advertisement