Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Broadband - Imagine, UPC or Eircom?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

just recently we became one of the anointed few in our end of Balbriggan who can now choose from a variety of broadband providers! :D (we are in the Legoland area! lol)

So just wanted to do a straw poll of the good folk of the Brig to see how they fare with their providers.

Who do you use, how are you getting on, what are the speeds/congestion like?

Price wise, UPC and Eircom are pretty much on a par, but then again, for what we use it for (mainly browsing with a small amount of streaming) Imagine might do and its a tenner a month less.

Your advice and suggestions are welcome!

ta

Which Broadband provider do you think provides the best service and speed? 13 votes

Eircom
    0%
    Imagine
    30%
    sirpsychogripcaseydewindygapN17er 4 votes
    UPC
    7%
    Twoandahalfmen 1 vote
    Other Provider
    61%
    Kintarō Hattoribillbond4KhannievestanpancesgarvanFingleberriesbaktagMeshel 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Little Ted wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

just recently we became one of the anointed few in our end of Balbriggan who can now choose from a variety of broadband providers! :D (we are in the Legoland area! lol)

So just wanted to do a straw poll of the good folk of the Brig to see how they fare with their providers.

Who do you use, how are you getting on, what are the speeds/congestion like?

Price wise, UPC and Eircom are pretty much on a par, but then again, for what we use it for (mainly browsing with a small amount of streaming) Imagine might do and its a tenner a month less.

Your advice and suggestions are welcome!

ta

I suppose it's down to choice and the power of your phone line. The best option i had was with UTV. Never looked back to be honest...Eircom are very dated with their pricing..and plus that child in the Eircom add with the D4 / American accent does my head in..."study hub"..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

and plus that child in the Eircom add with the D4 / American accent does my head in..."study hub"..:confused:
    :D Study the toe end of my boot up yer hole! lol Those eircom ads annoy me something chronic too

We don't have a phone line at the mo - will be getting one as its cheaper to have it than not (esp with UPC where it costs you €2.87 MORE not to have a phone in the bundle :confused:). We had a phone line before so I am assuming its a simple matter of reactivation. TBH I'd prefer not to get a phone as the temptation is just too much for me! but the better packages all seem to be in bundles.

The best option i had was with UTV. Never looked back to be honest

UTV offering 3MB for €42.68 p/mth or 7MB for €45.73, but limited usage, so purely on price comparison, UPC seems better than this. And even Imagine offers 7MB with unlimited for €32.50.

Is UTV particularly good? would it be worth the extra €13 per month compared to Imagine?

I just assumed that the fibre powered BB from UPC would be a good option given that it is 50MB and unlimited. But if people find it to be still generally slow and conjested then I might as well go for the imagine bargain basement price??

UTV offering 3MB for €42.68 p/mth or 7MB for €45.73, but limited usage, so purely on price comparison, UPC seems better than this. And even Imagine offers 7MB with unlimited for €32.50.

Is UTV particularly good? would it be worth the extra €13 per month compared to Imagine?

I just assumed that the fibre powered BB from UPC would be a good option given that it is 50MB and unlimited. But if people find it to be still generally slow and conjested then I might as well go for the imagine bargain basement price??

http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/customise.aspx

This is the one i'm on. I think it costs €35pm..Defo no more. The good thing is that it is only costing me €9.99 pm until jan as i got a new customer offer (which is a credit on the line rental for 6 months). I have never had an issue with speed. Can download a film in 10mins, music almost instantly.

Never any issues with them, But that is just me. My first choice would be UPC but their internet package is "not available in my area yet" of Balbriggan. I live up the flemington lane.

UTV is fine for me , Stay away from Eircom..€45pm... stick it up yer hole lads :pac:

That link just brings you to all the packages - don't see any for €35, cheapest one is €39.63 or only 1MB - 128KB - 20GB and no mention of discounts for new customers???
    If I opt not to include calls, only line rental, in which case its coming to €24.95 per month for 7MB - 384KB - 30GB
    or €29.02 per month for 12MB - 1MB - 30GB
    seems a bit pricey to me - eircom is actuall cheaper than this for the equivalent package.

• Advertisement

That link just brings you to all the packages - don't see any for €35, cheapest one is €39.63 or only 1MB - 128KB - 20GB and no mention of discounts for new customers???
    If I opt not to include calls, only line rental, in which case its coming to €24.95 per month for 7MB - 384KB - 30GB
    or €29.02 per month for 12MB - 1MB - 30GB
    seems a bit pricey to me - eircom is actuall cheaper than this for the equivalent package.

Yes that's strange. Mine is definately that cheap. I only found out about the offer after i joined which i thought was strange. Well worth putting a call into them. 10000% you can get unlimited downloads and very fast internet for €35. Choose broadband only and go from there. Again would be worth calling them. I got my parents to change from Eircom to UTV as they were paying mad money for a piss poor shoite Eircom service. They are delighted with UTV now.

(I don't work for UTV incase anyone thinks!)

thanks I'll give them a call and see what they offer....

Ok, just called them:
    NGB (next generation BB, which is on the website, but not instantly obvious!) is starting at €36.99 for up to 24MB - 768KB - 20GB with evening & Weekend calls
    This is prob the one you are on?
    Then it goes up to €39.99 for 40GB, or €42.99 for unlimited
    €49.95 connection charge plus €9.66 p&p
    No special offers for new customers at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I have Imagine. There are a HUGE amount of people very unhappy with the service. I have found them great though.

Having said that, as soon as (if ever) UPC become available in my estate, I am on it like a hot snot! Didnt read yesterday that their new basic package has doubled speed to 50 mb?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Other Provider
    UPC if you can get it. No question. Sick of being screwed by DSL resellers.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Having said that, as soon as (if ever) UPC become available in my estate, I am on it like a hot snot! Didnt read yesterday that their new basic package has doubled speed to 50 mb?

50Mb was wishful thinking on my part. Got this email from UPC today:
    UPC wrote:
    Thank you for your online order Fibre Power 50Mb.

Unfortunately the Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb speed you requested is not available at your address. However, we can provide Fibre Power Broadband 25Mb at your address.

But no mention of a lower price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Other Provider
    If it's just for browsing the web and ocassional bits and pieces online, your best bet is probably to go for UPC + Home phone (with no extra Anytime, Freetime options).

It should work out about €44 and you get 50Mb Broadband and relatively cheap calls if you need it. On Eircom, €45 gets you 'up to' 8Mb with a paltry 10GB download limit.

If you get Broadband only I think it works out more expensive because they charge a €10 Standalone Broadband fee on top of the Advertised Broadband only price. So, even if you never use the phone line, you're still ahead of the game.

If it's just for browsing the web and ocassional bits and pieces online, your best bet is probably to go for UPC + Home phone (with no extra Anytime, Freetime options).

It should work out about €44 and you get 50Mb Broadband and relatively cheap calls if you need it. On Eircom, €45 gets you 'up to' 8Mb with a paltry 10GB download limit.

As mentioned in my earlier post, 50Mb is not available in Balbriggan. They confirmed this when I phoned them - no where in Balbriggan at present can receive 50mb speeds. The best they can provide us with is 25mb, but this is only €2 cheaper per month than the 50mb package :( This includes phone with anywhere 100 (you cannot opt not to have this, it is the basic package).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, there's still no question. UPC all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Other Provider
    I have had Eircom, Esat BT and then Vodafone.

I am now on UPC and haven't looked back.

No issues at all with it. I have 30mb broadband. The basic package is now 50mb.

sgarvan wrote: »
    The basic package is now 50mb.
    not throughout Balbriggan - 20-30mb is the package they advise for Balbriggan, but in my area its 25MB.
    Its a shame its not the 50MB, but its still much better than Eircom's 8MB or Imagines 7MB. Closest is UTV at 24MB but it is a bit dearer.

Have placed an order for UPC at 25MB fibre powered. We are not eligible for self install, so the soonest they can get to us at practical time is next week. Would like to get it sooner, but unless I plan on taking a day off that is not going to happen as they do not give specific time slots, just am or pm which is a shame. Ah well, I suppose it won't kill us to wait one week.

Other Provider
    So Balbriggan is still on the MMDS service rather than the cable.

I had a point in my house already for UPC so I was illegible for self install as it is pretty much only plugging a modem.

If they are installing a point for you, you choose where you want it as UPC will put it where is easier for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I have Vodafone, the package itself isn't bad but because of where I am in Blabriggan, my line apparently won't even do the full 8MB I'm paying for. Until recently I was getting a solid 6MB but recently the connection has been acting up (connection dropping, connecting at slower speeds). 6MB is still p!ss-poor these days, IMO. If I could get UPC, I'd take it in a flash.

Other Provider
    Go to http://www.homevision.ie/ and put your phone number into the box on the right hand side of the page.

It gives you an indication of the max speed that your line can handle on DSL

This is what it outputs for mine and then below for my parents. It is quite close on the max speeds that could be got when I was on DSL and is bang on to what my parents can get now (UPC not available to them)

Your Number is: xxxxxxxx
    Your Exchange is: Balbriggan
    Services Available: Phone,Broadband
    Line Quality: 13.8MB

Your Number is: xxxxxxxxx
    Your Exchange is: Balbriggan
    Services Available: Phone,Broadband
    Line Quality: 3.71MB

Go to http://www.homevision.ie/ and put your phone number into the box on the right hand side of the page.

thanks for that, but a) we haven't had an active phone line since 2007, so the old number for our line has been reallocated. and b) not keen on DSL BB, would rather the fibre powered. But useful site nonetheless for those looking for DSL on their phone lines.

Other Provider
    But useful site nonetheless for those looking for DSL on their phone lines.

Or when Eircom sales at your front door are adamant that you can get 24mb BB on your line.

• Advertisement

well got the UPC installed at the weekend. So far, very happy. Eventhough UPC said they could only guarantee 24MB on the line, when tested we are actually getting 26MB. So substantially better than eircom. The lower MB on the line means it costs a staggering €2 less per month! lol but still its a better offering than the competitors.
    Plus its unlimited use, unlike the others.

Here's hoping the upgrade to the full 50MB comes about soon - that would be savage!

thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and advise - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LittleLady25

I was with eircom for a year and they are OK, the music hub is fantastic but I am with UPC now and the internet speed is much much better, I would say go with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

This is what it outputs for mine and then below for my parents. It is quite close on the max speeds that could be got when I was on DSL and is bang on to what my parents can get now (UPC not available to them)

Strange that gives me a reading of 3.3MB yet on speedtest Im around 6MB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Other Provider
    adox wrote: »

It's bang on for me. The modem says I'm good for 21Mb. Vodafone wont put it any higher than 18 (which, to be fair, I'm happy enough with - just would like the extra 2Mbps since the line is capable of it).

Other Provider

Bang on for me aswell from when I had a landline. Maybe it is only an indication

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Same here (though only intermittently lately!)...

have to say, a week in and we're really happy with our UPC service. So many thanks to all you posters for your advice and opinions. So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pacos207

Which is the best broadband in balbriggan ? I live in the Brecan area & UPc say they are not in that area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pacos207 wrote: »
    Which is the best broadband in balbriggan ? I live in the Brecan area & UPc say they are not in that area.

Hi, welcome to Boards. This is a very old thread and some of the posters may not still be active in the forum. There's a big thread about the eircom roll-out HERE that's much more recent, and other broadband providers have been discussed in there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement