Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I retake the leaving cert by only taking up honours maths?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi just wondering is it possible to redo one subject for the leaving cert preferably maths? or even another two subjects maths , English I will be doing these outside of a school, I did foundation maths 2 years ago and regret it thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes of course you can. You will need to register with the SEC as an external candidate and a repeat fee will apply. You need to register before the last week of January or so.

The details are on www.examinations.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

clarbar wrote: »
    Hi just wondering is it possible to redo one subject for the leaving cert preferably maths? or even another two subjects maths , English I will be doing these outside of a school, I did foundation maths 2 years ago and regret it thanks
    It may not be relevant to you, clarbar, but just be aware that you can't "mix and match" results from two sittings of the LC for points ... all your points must be from one sitting.

You can, however, satisfy specific minimum requirements for a course in a different year (except for medicine).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

hi randy can you explain the last paragraph ? I just want to repeat maths and one other subject

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

He means that, say you got 400 points last year and your lowest grade was 60 points, and you got 70 points for HL maths this year, you can't then have 410 points. But if you had 400 points and that was enough for a course that required HL maths, you can do it once you get the grade - but in medicine you have to do all the subjects in one year. Hope that helps. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

hi randy can you explain the last paragraph ? I just want to repeat maths and one other subject
    If you're just doing them for your own satisfaction, there's no issue at all.

If you're doing them with a view to applying through the CAO for a college place, much what Patchy said ... just be aware that you can't, for example, substitute in your new Maths result for your old when it comes to calculating points ... your points are calculated based on one sitting of the Leaving Cert, you can't mix and match subjects from two.

On the other hand, if you have the points you need, but the specific course specifies a "minimum requirement" of a certain grade in Maths (which is a separate issue altogether from points), then yes, you CAN satisfy this requirement by re-sitting Maths in a different year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Of course, but you can't do that to add points to your LC portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Just to clarify, I am thinking of sitting two subjects next year. I got 400 points first time round. If I get 2 A1s in the sitting am I entitled to claim I got x points by substituting them for my lower results first time around? Note, I'm not looking to apply for CAO etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Busyness1 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I am thinking of sitting two subjects next year. I got 400 points first time round. If I get 2 A1s in the sitting am I entitled to claim I got x points by substituting them for my lower results first time around? Note, I'm not looking to apply for CAO etc

"Entitled"? No one would stop you, but it wouldn't be correct to say so. You could, however, legitimately list subjects with the grades without stating that you achieved them in different sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Thanks Pseudo... Hadn't thought about the one sitting element. There was a trade-off between subjects for senior cycle in my school at the time. Yeah, it would be primarily for a listing subjects grades. I think I'll be doing an external candidate for the craic next year... hopefully the degree in it might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Thanks Pseudo... Hadn't thought about the one sitting element. There was a trade-off between subjects for senior cycle in my school at the time. Yeah, it would be primarily for a listing subjects grades. I think I'll be doing an external candidate for the craic next year... hopefully the degree in it might help

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are not applying for the CAO no-one will care what points you got. If you are putting the grades on a CV for job applications just list off your best grades between the original set of results and the repeated subjects. No one will ever ask you for a copy of your LC results.

Points are only used for college applications. Beyond that they are fairly meaningless only that the general public know that above 500 indicates a very good LC etc. No one will know the difference (or care) if you tell them you got 400 or 420.

EDIT: If you already have a degree in this area and you are not reapplying for a college course, would you even be bothered? Employers will look at your degree and work experience at an interview, not LC grades.

Advertisement