Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Breakfast Show Review Week

Options
  • 19-09-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Spent the last few days listening to various Breakfast shows to see who's doing the business and these are my honest opinions on what I've heard.

98FM -What can i say ? This show is so contrived, unnatural full of rubbish " you say this and i'll say that " forced scripted links & horrible fake laughter merged with inane features.Presenters sound like they hate each other. Aidan Power is very uninteresting. This show is in my opinion is the weakest in Dublin, it offers little. 3/10

FM104-By comparison this show is kicking 98FM in the face. JimJim holds the show brilliantly, he is naturally funny, likable & some of the sketches are genius.Some of the live character " Gift Grubish " attempts are weak and forced.The music is great for the audience is serves. Easy to see why it's a market leader in Dublin. 8/10

Nova -Again a show that is pretty fine tuned into it's audience but is lacking a natural warm feeling to it. Links are planned to a T and the tiny little pre recorded caller drop in's consisting of the caller saying " Hey Pat I think that shop burnt down in 89 - bang - into song " give you the feeling of over planning,over editing and disposing of the callers just to get your little few words and thus fill your 'local callers on air' quota. Music rotation is a headwreck and the one big concern i'd have for Nova. 6/10

Iradio - Serving the younger end of the market, as is the intention. Presenters
    have a good gel and don't fall over each other and it has a good natural flow, you get a feeling that there is a genuine buzz around the show. Some features work ......some are just ok. Yet another Joe Duffy character, no need. 7/10

Spin 103.8 - They have the young market nailed. The breakfast show - another male/female combo can drift into a "oh you can't say that" type
    pantomime but at least it's not trying to be any other show. Some good relevant interviews with playlist players like B.O.B. and over all the music is fresh. Needs to be more risky.

TodayFM - One of my favorites. Refreshing from the above shows who can hit you over the head with annoying imaging and American voice overs and the same 10 songs on loop.Is definitely and over 30's safe haven for music, sport & comedy. Dempsey is still the man for the job even tho he keeps cutting songs to make deadlines 8/10

2FM - Strange one. I'm not convinced it knows what it is. Are we national? are we local radio station in the midlands? Are we only speaking to people who " drive tractors & trucks up and down the roads of this fine country "
    Hector has great energy but can over cook the whole " were having the craic we're all mad as badgers " thing. 6/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Spent the last few days listening to various Breakfast shows to see who's doing the business and these are my honest opinions on what I've heard.

TodayFM - One of my favorites. Refreshing from the above shows who can hit you over the head with annoying imaging and American voice overs and the same 10 songs on loop.Is definitely and over 30's safe haven for music, sport & comedy. Dempsey is still the man for the job even tho he keeps cutting songs to make deadlines 8/10

Today FM Breakfast Show ''refreshing''. I couldn't disagree with you more. Desperately dull, with Ian Dempsey doing the same old stuff year after year. I don't get this show at all. Not to mention the ads, sponsors, aa traffic, news & sports news - ad nauseam.
    Podcasts all the way for me in the morning. BBC R4 stuff is fantastic. Each to their own of couse, that's just my view.

Advertisement