Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI question

Options
  • 19-09-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

How is (mature student) dependency on your parents distinguished - for example, if you are living at your parents home but are financially independent, are you considered an independent mature student or not dependent on your parent/legal guardian, since you are resident at their house over the past number of years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

You have to prove that you are living independently ie. Not with your parents from last October up until now. If you live with your parents or have done in the past year then as far as SUSI are concerned you are dependant on your parents.

It's a total balls.

I'm almost 30 & have lived away from home since I was 17 apart from November 2011 to January 2012 when due to circumstances I had to live in the family home with my parents for those couple of months.
    Yet apparently I am dependent on my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Henlars67 wrote: »
    You have to prove that you are living independently ie. Not with your parents from last October up until now. If you live with your parents or have done in the past year then as far as SUSI are concerned you are dependant on your parents.

Although if you live with any other family member you're deemed independent. It's a very strange way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Sund wrote: »
    How is (mature student) dependency on your parents distinguished - for example, if you are living at your parents home but are financially independent, are you considered an independent mature student or not dependent on your parent/legal guardian, since you are resident at their house over the past number of years?

Hi. If you are living with your parents you are deemed as a dependent applicant and assessed on your and your parents income.

May I please direct your attention to the Statutory Instruments of the Student Grant Scheme 2012 as outlined by the Department of Education and Skills in the below link :

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

In Part 2, Section 13 on page 11 of the PDF, the different classes of applicant are outlined in full.

Advertisement