Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruit Training

Options
  • 19-09-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey,

Starting recruit training with the southern brigade and just looking for any advice or things I should bring.

I got the list of stuff but wondering if theres anything else.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I would recommend
    -lots of talcum powder for your feet
    -a mosquito net for your head which you can buy in army bargains (trust me you'll be thankful for that when your up the glen getting eaten alive by the midgets!!
    -gloves with fingerless tips
    -compeed blister patches are a must as well!!
    -A good G-Shock watch if you can spare the $$$

theres loads of little things that can help your miserable moments just that much better. for instance put loads of mars bars in your kit when your going out on the ground!! im sure the other lads wil give you other tips too!!

Why are you making recommendations, when you've never served in any army yourself? You've just recommended him to bring utter shyt. He'll turn up and instantly become... The Keenest Man in NATO

Talcum powder and compeed, yes. Don't need a mossie net in basic, unless they issue you with one. I'd say fingerless gloves are pointless too. A G-shock watch in basic isn't a good idea, it's likely to get broken. A cheap one will do the job.

You're issued what you need, anything else will be on the kit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

why wouldnt someone need a mozzie net going on the ground? its not essential but makes life a little easier

i was told you'll either get the first weekend off or be brought to a shop to get anything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RugbyLad1992

Thanks guys.

Appreciate the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Hey,

Starting recruit training with the southern brigade and just looking for any advice or things I should bring.

Just bring what you have on the list, it should be sufficient for the time being. If you make it as far as tactical training in Fort Davis or somewhere around there, your Section Commander will tell you what else you will need.

Dont go wasting any money yet.

Mozzie Net - I have used from time to time, cheap, small, handy but not necessary yet. Although, Im fairly sure you will be issued one.

Fingerless gloves - Handy for Tactical training, not necessary yet

G Shock - Just get a simple €30 Casio watch....black. Make sure you learn how to do the alarm. Treat yourself to a G Shock when you pass out.

Compeed and foot powder - YES
    Bicycle Shorts, non chammois - YES

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Blister treatment.

Blister treatment.

And DON'T forget the blister treatment.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

floor polish, you will know what its for after a couple of weeks

Seriously though there are a few bits and pieces that I cant think of that will make life easier and you can get when you get a weekend off. Once you have everything of that list you a sorted for a start. You wont be on the ground for a while so mossie net and that can be got later. A good boot polish kit is a must and dont buy them rub on polish things as they are useless.

Its always handy to have some newspaper around to stick into wet boots overnight to help dry them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Hey,

A roll of gorilla tape can be useful, when something breaks. Small sewing kit?

Assumption is the mother of all Fcuk-ups.

Everything ive listed has a point to it and has personally helped me out on the ground. your very keen to be a troll, why not put your opinion in we'll all laugh at you?

You are issued ALMOST everything you need, but there are things you can buy to help make your life a little easier

your post is completely off topic and unless you have something helpful to say I suggest you stfu

Go on, tell me if you are PDF, RDF etc...

I'm a troll all right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Just wondering if anyone has the list of kit thats been sent out to recruits?

To the OP. Bring whatever is on the list. More if you like but certainly no less.

Dont waste money on fancy extras just yet. You may not even like the army and find that you have wasted hundreds of quid on stuff you'll never use again if you leave.

I dont know if you have spoken to anyone in the know but you can expect to be left home in either the first or second weekend. You can make any required purchases then. At the start of recruit training you are a long way away from tactical phases so things like fingerless gloves, mozzie nets etc are certainly not required just yet.

I would definitely advise bringing foot powder and blister plasters. Generally any foot powder is as good as the next but when it comes to blister plasters Compeed is the last word. They're the most expensive but they are the best. And powder you're feet every time you put on a pair of socks. Every single time. It will stand to you.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has the list of kit thats been sent out to recruits?

To the OP. Bring whatever is on the list. More if you like but certainly no less.

Dont waste money on fancy extras just yet. You may not even like the army and find that you have wasted hundreds of quid on stuff you'll never use again if you leave.

I dont know if you have spoken to anyone in the know but you can expect to be left home in either the first or second weekend. You can make any required purchases then. At the start of recruit training you are a long way away from tactical phases so things like fingerless gloves, mozzie nets etc are certainly not required just yet.

I would definitely advise bringing foot powder and blister plasters. Generally any foot powder is as good as the next but when it comes to blister plasters Compeed is the last word. They're the most expensive but they are the best. And powder you're feet every time you put on a pair of socks. Every single time. It will stand to you.

Thanks very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Baby wipes
    WD 40
    Torch with red filter
    White cotton t-shirts
    Bicycle shorts
    Baby Wipes
    Small alarm clock
    Arnica
    Elastic for trouser blousers - and your roll mat
    Sewing kit - get your granny to teach you before you turn up.
    Baby Wipes
    Face mask (the type you get on flights)
    Ear plugs
    Clothes hangers
    Ziplock Bags various sizes
    Laminate rolls (contact)
    Small notebook & pencil
    Velcro
    Insulating tape (red, black & white)
    Baby wipes
    Marker Pen for marking clothing
    Spare bootlaces Black
    Plasters
    Bungee cords
    Para cord
    Lighter
    Kiwi polish ( only Kiwi)
    Chamois
    Scrubbing brush - wooden with hard bristles
    Baby wipes
    iPod
    Watch - cheap but if you can G-shock
    Foot powder
    Johnsons baby shampoo
    Deep heat cream or Tiger Balm
    Sports gear especially socks
    Small inflatable pillow
    Deck of cards
    Starch spray for ironing
    A camera
    Mossie net ( for your head)
    A diary - time will fly &" the bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory"
    DEET spray (DEET 100)
    2 toothbrushes
    Lots of razors
    Electric razor - only if you already have one - useful for last minute top ups.
    Cash - ABC - Always Bring Cash ( no matter where you are going)
    Scotch pads
    Brasso - there is always something to shine
    Talcum powder ( as well as foot powder)
    Baby wipes
    Vaseline ( for the nipples)
    KFS - knife fork spoon - plastic
    Penknife - buy a decent one - a leatherman or Gerber if you can afford
    Hair clippers - optional but will save you & your buddies a lot of hassle
    Laundry bag
    Febreeze
    Mr Sheen
    Picture of girlfriend / family / dog / car - good distraction on inspections
    Sports bottle
    Towels - bath & hand
    Pens
    Refill pad
    Poly pockets
    Ring folder
    Gunge - mars/ snickers / bags of fruit & Nuts / Trail or Muesli Bars / Jaffa Cakes
    Baby Wipes
    2 polish brushes ( one on, one off)
    Padlock & keys
    Spare batteries
    Hand cleanser ( Alcohol Type)
    Nailbrush
    Ear buds
    Small plastic cup - reusable
    Cable ties
    A good book - NOT about anything Military related
    Isotonic powder to mix into water
    Arse pad ( 1 foot x 1 foot piece of kit mat)
    A canvas belt (green) for your trousers (drawstrings are not comfortable)

Baby Wipes

An open mind
    A sense of humour
    A decent attitude

Bring NO spare DPM/ DF Clothing no matter what the source - wait until later in training to bring this & then get as much as possible.

The above is an ideal list - the more you have the easier your life will be, many guys have turned up with just the shirt on their back and have done just fine but then again any fool can be uncomfortable.

Congratulations, you are very lucky.

Are you taking the piss? That kit list is longer than that of p-company and the all arms combined!

discus wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss? That kit list is longer than that of p-company and the all arms combined!

Try reading the 2nd last paragraph again.

Oh no, you got me. Might as well **** off the rest of my contract, I'm not worth shyt! You've still to tell me what your military experience is, mate. Did your section commander let you whip out a mossie net during your basic training?

I turned up with my kit list and that's it, and that's what I'd recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

muletide wrote: »
    Baby wipes
    WD 40 (Recruits will be given oil, God help anyone who rocks up with a tin of WD40 on their first day)
    Torch with red filter (Issued)
    White cotton t-shirts (No point buying them unless told to do so)
    Bicycle shorts
    Baby Wipes
    Small alarm clock
    Arnica
    Elastic for trouser blousers - and your roll mat
    Sewing kit - get your granny to teach you before you turn up.
    Baby Wipes
    Face mask (the type you get on flights) (It's Recruit Training, not a trip to a spa for 6 months)
    Ear plugs (Issued)
    Clothes hangers
    Ziplock Bags various sizes
    Laminate rolls (contact)
    Small notebook & pencil
    Velcro (Not needed)
    Insulating tape (red, black & white) (Not needed straight off the bat)
    Baby wipes
    Marker Pen for marking clothing
    Spare bootlaces Black (They come with the boots)
    Plasters (A smart recruit would get them from the MAP and save money)
    Bungee cords (No need for it yet)
    Para cord (No need for it yet)
    Lighter
    Kiwi polish ( only Kiwi)
    Chamois
    Scrubbing brush - wooden with hard bristles
    Baby wipes
    iPod
    Watch - cheap but if you can G-shock
    Foot powder (Once again, a smart Recruit would get them from the MAP)
    Johnsons baby shampoo
    Deep heat cream or Tiger Balm
    Sports gear especially socks (Issued, including socks)
    Small inflatable pillow (WTF?)
    Deck of cards
    Starch spray for ironing
    A camera
    Mossie net ( for your head) (Once again, issued)
    A diary - time will fly &" the bluntest pencil is better than the sharpest memory"
    DEET spray (DEET 100) (Won't be needed straight off the bat)
    2 toothbrushes
    Lots of razors
    Electric razor - only if you already have one - useful for last minute top ups.
    Cash - ABC - Always Bring Cash ( no matter where you are going)
    Scotch pads (Come in ration packs)
    Brasso - there is always something to shine
    Talcum powder ( as well as foot powder)
    Baby wipes
    Vaseline ( for the nipples)
    KFS - knife fork spoon - plastic (Issued. New ration packs also come with plastic cutlery, even then there's still no need to buy one for the start of training)
    Penknife - buy a decent one - a leatherman or Gerber if you can afford (A smart Recruit would wait until they at least make it to their Two to Three Star Cse before splashing out on something before they're even sure of having a career in the DF)
    Hair clippers - optional but will save you & your buddies a lot of hassle
    Laundry bag (Issued)
    Febreeze
    Mr Sheen
    Picture of girlfriend / family / dog / car - good distraction on inspections
    Sports bottle (Issued)
    Towels - bath & hand (Issued)
    Pens
    Refill pad
    Poly pockets
    Ring folder
    Gunge - mars/ snickers / bags of fruit & Nuts / Trail or Muesli Bars / Jaffa Cakes
    Baby Wipes
    2 polish brushes ( one on, one off) (Issued)
    Padlock & keys
    Spare batteries (Not needed straight off the bat)
    Hand cleanser ( Alcohol Type)
    Nailbrush
    Ear buds
    Small plastic cup - reusable (Issued)
    Cable ties
    A good book - NOT about anything Military related
    Isotonic powder to mix into water (Comes in the ration packs)
    Arse pad ( 1 foot x 1 foot piece of kit mat)
    A canvas belt (green) for your trousers (drawstrings are not comfortable) (Issued)

Baby Wipes

An open mind
    A sense of humour
    A decent attitude

Bring NO spare DPM/ DF Clothing no matter what the source - wait until later in training to bring this & then get as much as possible.

The above is an ideal list - the more you have the easier your life will be, many guys have turned up with just the shirt on their back and have done just fine but then again any fool can be uncomfortable.

Congratulations, you are very lucky.

Any Recruit who rocks up on their first day with the above list is off their head and asking for trouble.

Imagine an NCO giving Recruits an early wake up call and he goes into a room to find a Recruit panned out with his face mask on, ear plugs in and inflatable pillow under his neck.

Madness. It's Recruit Training, you're not gonna get a chance to gucci up your kit.

Pull WD40 out of your daysack... Bounced off.
    Wear your own sports gear... Bounced off.
    Get found in a patrol harbour with an inflatable pillow... Bounced off.
    Get caught using an electric razor... Bounced off.
    Caught recording your memoirs... Bounced off.

I'm sure you potential Recruits get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Another thing that I remembered that wasn't mentioned, you will be expected to shave every morning which over the 4 months will destroy your skin so take some nivea after shave balm or something similar, it will come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

John Mongo wrote: »
    Any Recruit who rocks up on their first day with the above list is off their head ...........

Couldn't agree more. There's hundreds of euro's worth of stuff there. And about 99% of it totally unnecessary for a recruit arriving in barracks to begin his training.

I know lads answering this thread mean well but be careful with your advice guys and think before you post.

Lots of potential recruits reading this thread are probably flapping right now because they cant afford a G-Shock or a leatherman or something equally pointless for a raw recruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

About a G Shock watch... Whats so awesome about it? e200 when I guy buy one for a tenner

I got me a Casio

250px-Casio_F-91W.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Best tip would be a set of decent insoles that you have already broken in. You will spend ALOT of time on your feet in the initial stages agitating the gravel on the square, the last thing you want is to draw heat on yourself by going flat in recruit training because of a blister

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

John Mongo wrote: »
    Any Recruit who rocks up on their first day with the above list is off their head and asking for trouble.

Imagine an NCO giving Recruits an early wake up call and he goes into a room to find a Recruit panned out with his face mask on, ear plugs in and inflatable pillow under his neck.

Madness. It's Recruit Training, you're not gonna get a chance to gucci up your kit.

Pull WD40 out of your daysack... Bounced off.
    Wear your own sports gear... Bounced off.
    Get found in a patrol harbour with an inflatable pillow... Bounced off.
    Get caught using an electric razor... Bounced off.
    Caught recording your memoirs... Bounced off.

I'm sure you potential Recruits get the picture.

I really don't appreciate the tone of your reply - I was merely trying trying to assist a new entrant. And I clearly provided a health warning in the 2nd last paragraph/line which you clearly didn't bother to read.

Especially confused by posters telling this guy that he does not need certain items yet, while at the same time saying to acquire items from Rat packs - which he won't see till week 12/13 at the earliest.

Regarding cost (as another poster referred to) if you drop the knife, torch & watch, all those items can be purchased for €100 - €150. Any other career you start you will buy a new suit / kit for twice that.

But be sure of one thing - if you last the full 16 weeks and then progress to 3 star training - you will purchase or wish you had purchased every item on that list. I guarantee you that

Also if you think I am talking through my hole feel free to PM service numbers that we can individually check on the PMS on Monday morning to compare experience both in training and overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ya come on here with a daily update of your recruit training and your sure to get beasted!!! oh ye that happened ahem "POCCINGTON" ahem who just happens to be a forum mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Aquila wrote: »

Oh and enjoy "scratch":pac:
    sssssh thats meant to be a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If I was to give advice to any recruit reading this forum it would be this..

Read what Benwaver posts, and follow it.

Simple as!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Don't tell the others in your platoon, but when being assigned your billet, take the SNCO present to one side and quietly offer him €50 and a bottle of Jameson for an en suite room with a balcony and nice view of the square. They keep one or two rooms like this spare for those in the know. The extra privacy and fresh air will come in handy, and you'll be able to hang your washing on the balcony. Also you'll have somewhere to bring the local slappers back to after a night on the tiles.

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Don't tell the others in your platoon, but when being assigned your billet, take the SNCO present to one side and quietly offer him €50 and a bottle of Jameson for an en suite room with a balcony and nice view of the square. They keep one or two rooms like this spare for those in the know. The extra privacy and fresh air will come in handy, and you'll be able to hang your washing on the balcony. Also you'll have somewhere to bring the local slappers back to after a night on the tiles.

Do I look like I have a deathwish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

how about for the navy any useful stuff or just the same

Advertisement