Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a long waiting list to get shock treatment for irregular heart beat?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 2:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, i am just wondering how long should someone be on the waiting list to get electric shock treatment for irregular heart beat to try and cure it.

My grandfather was told about 8 months ago by our GP that a letter had been sent to the hospital and it's up to them when they call him in. But 5 months went by and nothing, so he asked out GP again and was told that the hospital unfortunately won't go any faster if you send them another letter so it's best to just wait and see... now another 3 months later and still no word, but it's not a big task for them at all.

Is there any way of speeding this up, the fact is that prior to getting this irregular heart beat problem he could walk the dog everyday and go places, now is pretty much stuck in until this can be cured as exercise makes it worse.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

waking lists vary from hospital to hospital, best bet is to ring the consultants secretary and ask what the waiting time generally is.

gp could also send another letter/or ring to try speed it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

Yeah think i will ring them actually, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but did he have the procedure, and did it work?

Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but did he have the procedure, and did it work?

Hi thanks for your reply, well what happened was it turned out there was a mix up and he wasn't put on the list, it was either a mistake on our GP's side sending the letter into the hospital, or the hospital themselves maybe misplacing it. But that sort of thing happens and it's not too big a job to tell you GP you want to get back on the list, but typical person aged in their late 70s; grandfather says "oh i'm not going to bring that up to the doctor, there's nothing they can do anyway, it wouldn't work", so it's not going to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Balls
    Was wondering how it turned out. My old lad had it done and it fixed him up for a few weeks but its gone back to the old irregular rhythm again now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My father in law has had it done a number of times.

He has a number of different health issues - the first time it was done he felt like he had a complete reboot and his heart was beating regularly and all was well. Then a few years later they figured that it was beating irregularly again, so they did it again. It was still irregular so they fitted him with a pacemaker, like a new man again.

Then a few years later again he developed other health issues and during investigations his heart consultant said the pacemaker wasnt working and it was irregular again so they did it again.

Its been regular since, about 2 years now.

Yeah there's always a risk it can come back and that it may not cure the problem at all. Pacemakers are only as a last resort if the shock treatment doesn't work is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Not sure on the pacemaker tbh, he has had a lot of health issues with his heart/blood pressure/clots etc..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sorry to hear about this. Our system is f*cked up sometimes.
    FWIW I'd push it and see if they would give a quick appointment due to the mess up.
    Even at 70+ he could benefit form the right intervention or a cardiology review at least.
    (Must give myself a warning for offering advice...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ByronB wrote: »
    Yeah there's always a risk it can come back and that it may not cure the problem at all. Pacemakers are only as a last resort if the shock treatment doesn't work is it?

If the shock doesn't work then it's just a case of taking tablets usually. Definitely worth getting the review as Rob said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement