Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS keyring finder

Options
  • 18-09-2012 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

You know the way you can "find my iPhone" by linking it to your computer, then looking for it on iCloud when it's lost? Is there a gadget that will do this for keys? A keyring that will give you a GPS location (on your computer or your phone) showing where your keys are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably, but it'll only be accurate to within a few metres and won't work if the keys are sheltered.

You could rig up something like this to your keys.

The main problems with what you want are the fact that it requires a battery (so recharging every now and again), requires two-way communication over a GSM network (so you have to buy credit, etc) and is badly limited by GPS coverage.

If you're constantly losing keys, etc that site has a key locator which is much simpler and allows you to track your keys over a 120m range, regardless of whether you're indoors or outdoors. It's far more likely that your lost keys will be somewhere close than in the middle of a random field 5km away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

seamus wrote: »
    If you're constantly losing keys, etc that site has a key locator which is much simpler and allows you to track your keys over a 120m range, regardless of whether you're indoors or outdoors. It's far more likely that your lost keys will be somewhere close than in the middle of a random field 5km away :)

Not ness. They can drop out of your pocket when you're cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Safety pin through the loop, pin to the inside of your pocket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a proper cycling jersey and stick them on your lower back, problem sorted.

Thanks for all the kindly advice.

But really I'm looking for a way to find those keys I lose, rather than advice, however well-meant, on how not to lose them. We all make mistakes now and again.

If I lose my phone, either around the house or by leaving it in a friend's, say, I can locate it on iCloud. It'd be nice to have a keyring fob that would enable me to do the same with my keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Look up the 'Fast and Furious scandal'. The US ATF tried to track gun smugglers with GPS trackers. Problem? GPS devices consume hella battery life.

What you're asking to do is highly impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Attach your keys to your iPhone case?

Attach your keys to your iPhone case?

This sounds good. My iPhone doesn't have a case, though.

Advertisement