Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphoto takes up too much space on Air, Options??

Options
  • 18-09-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

So my Macbook air is getting way too clogged up with my iphoto and itunes and i need to clear it up alot so im thinking can i take my iphoto out and save it on any harddrive and just kinda start again??

Now im not the best in the world at computer stuff and i tried to save all my photos on a harddrive but am not 100% sure if it worked??

So if anyone has a dummy proof way thats easy could you let me know or send me on a link please..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Your iPhoto library should be located in your Pictures folder. It should look like this:
    149p9v7.png

This is the file you need to move to an external hard drive.

Once the 'iPhoto Library' file is on your external hard drive and removed from your mac's hard drive, open iPhoto while holding the option (alt) key. You should then be asked to locate your library. Simply navigate to where you moved the 'iPhoto Library' file to on your external hard drive and click OK. All your photos will now show up in iPhoto and you can continue using it as you have been, the only difference being all of your photos are now stored on your external drive

You should note that any time you want to open iPhoto now you will have to have your eternal hard drive plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Your iPhoto library should be located in your Pictures folder. It should look like this:
    149p9v7.png

Once the 'iPhoto Library' file is on your external hard drive and removed from your mac's hard drive, open iPhoto while holding the option (alt) key. You should then be asked to locate your library. Simply navigate to where you moved the 'iPhoto Library' file to on your external hard drive and click OK. All your photos will now show up in iPhoto and you can continue using it as you have been, the only difference being all of your photos are now stored on your external drive

You should note that any time you want to open iPhoto now you will have to have your eternal hard drive plugged in.

Cheers for this....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

149p9v7.png

Deadly thanks ill give this a go in the next couple days... ;););)

Whats actually the handiest way to delete all my pics without erasing iphoto?? Cheers

So i have saved my photos to my hard drive and now i click on iphoto holding the alt button and i locate my iphoto library in external hard drive but the iphoto is still empty?? Any help please

• Advertisement

oo7tk wrote: »
    So i have saved my photos to my hard drive and now i click on iphoto holding the alt button and i locate my iphoto library in external hard drive but the iphoto is still empty?? Any help please

Wait so you option-clicked iPhoto, then you were asked to locate the library you wanted to use, then you located it, and iPhoto opened with no photos in it?

oo7tk wrote: »
    Whats actually the handiest way to delete all my pics without erasing iphoto?? Cheers

Just delete the iPhoto Library file I mentioned above

This does not seem to be working?? I have erased my iphoto library totally off my mac and have it on my harddrive... I have my harddrive plugged in and hold ALT and open iphoto, it then asked me to choose library and i locate the library i have saved on my harddrive and iphoto opens and no photos??? Sorry and thanks for the help its much appreciated....

Advertisement