Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Degrees - A few questions!

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have a few quick questions and I thought I'd drop by and ask the good people of boards.ie, as it's normally the place to get even the most difficult question answered! :D

1) Unemployment benefit - is it possible to get something like that while undertaking a masters degree?
    2) For people who are living at home (ie: not paying rent) and who have already completed a Masters degree, is there any funding/allowance/grant available?
    3) Are there requirements in terms of eligibility for tax relief on fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

1. It depends - if it's full time no. if it's part time - possibly - if you could also work full time
    2. Not really - unless you are doing a phd
    3. See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

The tax relief has to be paid by someone paying taxes - which can be anyone. So if you were paying fees - you could give the fee to your tax paying best friend or mother and they pay the fee on your behalf and they get the tax refund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sund

1. It depends - if it's full time no. if it's part time - possibly - if you could also work full time
    2. Not really - unless you are doing a phd
    3. See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

The tax relief has to be paid by someone paying taxes - which can be anyone. So if you were paying fees - you could give the fee to your tax paying best friend or mother and they pay the fee on your behalf and they get the tax refund

do you mean it has to be paid by someone who is currently paying taxes or would it include someone who was paying taxes until recently (ie: Was working during 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sund wrote: »
    do you mean it has to be paid by someone who is currently paying taxes or would it include someone who was paying taxes until recently (ie: Was working during 2012)

Currently paying taxes works best. What happened he about 3 years ago was that the refund came back through my wages.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement