Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Athlone for early bird?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice please. I am bringing the other half for a meal on Friday night. We have never been out in Athlone before so does anybody have any recommendations for a good early bird menu? My girlfriend is a bit of a fussy eater so I need to consider that also! It is our three year anniversary so romantic would also be good! I have heard that the Locke restaurant is good?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Hmm you could try Left Bank Bistro for early bird.

www.leftbankbistro.com Down near Seans/Snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Hey everyone,
    I am looking for a bit of advice please. recommendations for a good early bird menu?

OK well congrats on your 3rd anniv.

You are obviously a cheapskate bringing herself out for an earlybird on this romantic date, so I will leave out "The fatted calf" and the like.

Thyme is really nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

The early bird was her idea not mine! Thanks for the replies so far. I had a look at the menu for Thyme and the left bank and they seem very fancy (not in a bad way but the other half might not like the selection). I am thinking about the left bank as it got really good reviews on trip advisor. Anymore suggestions are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mammamia17

If you like Italian Pavarotti's is great and the prices are very reasonable.....or the Upper Deck (above Coppers) haven't been there but have heard some great reports......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Radisson (Elements restaurant) do a deal, two courses and wine for 50 euro Sun - Fri I think. You might wanna check that with them. Food there is top notch although limited menu.

Thyme is probably one of the best, best value, and most under-rated restaurant in Athlone -
    http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/blog/556/
    http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/52429/athlone-and-glasson-restaurants-recognised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

I'd recommend Thyme also. I've never had a bad meal there and the early bird is top notch. They also do BYO (€5 corkage) most nights, check when booking. Tripadvisor also has some good reviews for restaurants around the town so check that out too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Top Deck Bistro on Church Street would be a good bet. They have a huge menu with lots of regular everyday food. They do €10 main courses Monday to Friday and Sunday afternoon and you can bring your own wine and pay a few quid corkage.
    I think Thyme is nice too but it's not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Early Bird - Glasson Village Restaurant ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I haven't been there yet but The Locke seems lovely. (I have gone inside however and it is stunning, so good date material so to speak).
    Left Bank Bistro is nice for Early Bird (decent deal) but I found the service not so great.
    Fatted Calf is fab if you want to go that far out. What kind of food does your gf eat?

Advertisement