Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I work in the UK with an Irish EMT license?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey folks,
    Just a quick question if any of you can help.

I am currently doing my EMT course in Ireland and have been told that there is not many job opportunities available in the republic for EMTs.
    I have then heard that the UK are constantly looking for ACA/ECAs (Ambulance/Emergency Care Assistants), which is meant to be the UK version of an Irish EMT (if I'm right!).

Does anybody know if it is possible to work in the UK as an ACA/ECA with an Irish EMT licence, and if there is any upskilling, exams, etc needed to transfer over? Is there many job opportunities for people with this qualification?

I wish to eventually pursue a career as a Paramedic (when the HSE start recruiting again), and chose to do the EMT course as a stepping stone and gain some valuable experience to aid me. I would love to work as an EMT/ACA if there was work out there, so that my skills won't become stale.

Also does anybody know of any of these job opportunities in Northern Ireland?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Banjoshane wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I am currently doing my EMT course in Ireland and have been told that there is not many job opportunities available in the republic for EMTs.
    I have then heard that the UK are constantly looking for ACA/ECAs (Ambulance/Emergency Care Assistants), which is meant to be the UK version of an Irish EMT (if I'm right!).

Does anybody know if it is possible to work in the UK as an ACA/ECA with an Irish EMT licence, and if there is any upskilling, exams, etc needed to transfer over? Is there many job opportunities for people with this qualification?

I wish to eventually pursue a career as a Paramedic (when the HSE start recruiting again), and chose to do the EMT course as a stepping stone and gain some valuable experience to aid me. I would love to work as an EMT/ACA if there was work out there, so that my skills won't become stale.

Thanks in advance,
    Shane

Ahh Shane, so young and full of wonder, you remind me of me when I first pondered this!!!

UK does not regulate EMTs.
    IHCD is the industry standard EMT trainer. Most EMTs in UK are IHCD EMTs.
    They tend to call EMTs Techs instead.
    Yes you are right ACA/ECA/ECSWs etc etc are the same as EMTs in terms of hours of training, but EMTs from Ireland posses some more skills here and there.

There are no conversion courses as EMT is not regulated in the UK.
    Statutory NHS trusts will not take you on as ACA/ECA etc just because you have EMT ticket, this will only stand to you in the interview stage as previous exp etc.

The private sector is large and it is up to the company to reckignise your EMT cert if they want to. (Most do as IHCD EMT or ACA depending on how cowboyish they are).

Register on NHSjobs.co.uk for ACA/ECA jobs in East of England, SECamb, SCAS, SAS, MAS, etc.
    If you want try get into a private for a while for experience if you want to come back to Ireland for para.

If you join Statutory then you might aswel stay for a while and try do their internal para recruitment and get para over in UK..much higher qualification than Ireland.

Any more questions, PM me..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

Hey folks,

Thanks in advance,
    Shane

Train in the UK as a Paramedic if you can buddy. It will be well worth it in the long run employment wise as HPC is still recognised worldwide. If you get the PHECC Paramedic you will struggle unless in the HSE,DFB. AP is really the only qual you can get in Ireland that will guarantee you work just about anywhere in the wordl Or, if you can, go to the states and do the NREMT-P. Its internationally recognised as it has a much higher scope of practice than the PHECC Paramedic or indeed the UK Paramedic

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Banjoshane

Sorry I forgot to reply back to ye!

Thanks a million for your feedback, yeh I would love to get an HPC recognized Paramedic qualification if I could, could be waiting in Ireland a long time before a Paramedic training opportunity comes up!

I have my EMT exams this month, so yeh might pm you for advice on working in the UK with the PHECC EMT qualification, I don't want to lay idle!

Thanks again,
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

Hi all! If anyone is interested, London Ambulance Service is recruiting for A&E Support staff. A great job carrying out Inter hospital transfers, transport to Walk in centres, GP practices, A&E, responding to less serious 999 calls, first responder to life threatening 999 calls, providing back up/assistance to other crews etc etc etc - like the ICV service here with the HSE. 8 weeks training covering Emergency and Non-emergency driving, clinical training, manual handling etc etc etc! All details available on the London Ambulance Service website!! :)

Thanks for the info Medic475!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Maverick91

Just to clarify, the Irish EMT Qualification is not recognised in the UK? So does that mean you'd have no chance of getting work in the UK as an EMT with the Irish Qualification?

It is recognised on private ambulances, me and a few others are starting in a private company in London in the next few weeks...
    I met another lad last week who was working as bank staff for a private company in Cornwall with his EMT... so there's actually more going in the UK than Ireland at the min!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Maverick91

Banjoshane wrote: »
    It is recognised on private ambulances, me and a few others are starting in a private company in London in the next few weeks...
    I met another lad last week who was working as bank staff for a private company in Cornwall with his EMT... so there's actually more going in the UK than Ireland at the min!

Well that's good to know that your €2,500 qualification might get you a job somewhere ;) Have you done the course? I'm thinking of doing it and looking for work as an EMT before trying to get into one of the UK colleges to do a paramedic course in 2014.

Aye done the course with the IATI in Galway it was great. I think that if you're working in that profession you can do the Paramedic course through the Open University online and work at the same time, don't know much about it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ruairit

Hi. I am an EMT. does anybody know how I can get my emt cert recognised in Canada.

• Advertisement
Advertisement