Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ethernet cable and desktop

Options
  • 17-09-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi I have an '07 Packard bell desktop with windows XP.
    My problem is I moved the wireless broadband modem downstairs and ran an Ethernet cable to it but the computer will not connect to the internet.
    It works fine with the 4 foot cable but not with the 20 foot one.
    Tried cat5 first and then cat6 but nothing.Cable connections testing ok with tester and buzzing out, Straight cable. Cables work fine with laptop connected.
    Confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If you crimped the plugs yourself, did you use the 568A or 568B wiring sequence?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568

Failure to use 568A or B can result in an impedance mismatch and data transmission problems, especially over longer distances (some NICs cope better than others).

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Ok I've used neither actually.Will redo the cable swopping the white of the blue pair and the green pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Sorted thanks.

Advertisement