Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor and TV Tuner

Options
  • 17-09-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I'm looking at purchasing a monitor for mainly gaming purposes. However it would be ideal if I could also watch tv through it.

My first question is this, if I'm receiving tv through a digital set top box (in this case UPC), then do I even need a tv tuner?

Secondly, in a case like this, is it worth my while asking UPC for a digital set top box with HDMI connection rather than just the SCART one I have now, or would it make no discernible difference as I'm not subscribed to any HD channels?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It'll be easier to find a monitor with HDMI than with SCART. But it's cheaper to buy a TV with both. Most TVs will be capable of computer connection, VGA and HDMI connections. Though they may not be capable of the higher PC resolutions. 1366x768 is a common resolution on the smaller screen sizes which is probably ample for gaming needs.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had a similar requirement O.P and I bought an LG DM2780, It has built in DTT that works fine with Saorview(Not saorview approved though),Scart Connection, 1920x1080 resolution, USB playback allowing media playback and PVR, and as an added bonus its passive 3d aswell!
    I have it a few months now and it is a fantastic piece of kit.
    I bought mine from richersounds here on boards, great service!

As for asking UPC for a HD box, I'm fairly certain a HD box means a higher subscription ;)

Advertisement