Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18th/19th Century Diarists

Options
  • 17-09-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭

I have been reading the diaries of 19th century Offaly people found at the following link and it is absolutely fascinating to learn of the day to day life of a privileged person in Ireland in that period.

http://www.offalyhistory.com/categories/Reading-Resources/Offaly-Diarists/

Particularly in reference to the Maxwell Fox diary of 1868, I found the more mundane the entry, the more interesting I found it. For example, a typical entry:
    Thursday 20th
    Dick went to see a ploughing match at Mr. Tarletons (Newtown), a very bad blowy and rainy day. Wrote letters. After luncheon inspecting farm work and talking to gardener about greenhouse gutter. Tea. After dinner read the Tallisman [a Walter Scott novel] and played whist.

From reading the exploits of his year, there was a hell of a lot of whist (card game) being played. :)

Can anyone recommend any books or websites which contain other similar diary entries?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Not sure about websites, but the NLI would hold a lot of diaries from the eighteenth century. Take a look at the catalouge to see what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

'The Highland Lady in Ireland' by Elizabeth Grant. Originally from a 'name' Scottish family, her branch fell on hard times, she married an Irish landlord, Smith of Baltiboys Co. Wicklow. Diary starts in 1840 and gives an interesting slant on the Famine in Wicklow, the goings-on of the Blessingtons, etc., from a landlord family's perspective. More open and less biased than for example Steuart Trench's book. Can be a bit tedious/sanctimonious at times, but a good social commentary and generally a good read.

'The Assassin's Cloak' is another, an anthology of diary entries from 170 diarists, very diverse, Pepys, Kenneth Williams, Duff Cooper, etc. I like the format, just like a diary, several entries per day, so one can turn to the day's date and be surprised by what happened on that day X years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Just ordered the 'highland lady in ireland' from amazon there so I can blame you if it's no good... ;)

Thanks lads.

Advertisement