Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with fogging glasses

Options
  • 17-09-2012 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I had a great days skirmishing at Redbarn yesterday. The only issue I had was with my glasses which kept fogging up, so much so that it was like trying to look through a waterfall at times. Don't laugh (ok if you must) but at one point I ended up shooting at a tree stump covered in moss that I mistook for a shooter! It was humid yesterday which didn't help but I had to leave the games twice as the glasses were so bad that I honestly couldn't see. I was wearing a helmet for the morning session which I switched to a patrol cap for the afternoon session but that didn't help. So I guess it's down to my lower mesh face mask that's causing the fogging. However I don't want to lose a tooth (especially as my face is a bb magnet!), so I wouldn't feel comfortable playing without mouth protection. Are there any masks for the mouth only, ie that leave your nose clear and so might reduce/eliminate the fogging?

I know I could get a mesh goggles but I've heard too many horror stories of the mesh deforming, some people using porcelain bbs etc. Plus I think they restrict your view as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I had a great days skirmishing at Redbarn yesterday. The only issue I had was with my glasses which kept fogging up, so much so that it was like trying to look through a waterfall at times. Don't laugh (ok if you must) but at one point I ended up shooting at a tree stump covered in moss that I mistook for a shooter! It was humid yesterday which didn't help but I had to leave the games twice as the glasses were so bad that I honestly couldn't see. I was wearing a helmet for the morning session which I switched to a patrol cap for the afternoon session but that didn't help. So I guess it's down to my lower mesh face mask that's causing the fogging. However I don't want to lose a tooth (especially as my face is a bb magnet!), so I wouldn't feel comfortable playing without mouth protection. Are there any masks for the mouth only, ie that leave your nose clear and so might reduce/eliminate the fogging?

I know I could get a mesh goggles but I've heard too many horror stories of the mesh deforming, some people using porcelain bbs etc. Plus I think they restrict your view as well.

Hi Dave,

I wouldn't put the fogging down to the mesh mask too much, any air would be pushed out through the mesh, unless you use neoprene which pushes the exhaled air back up into your face and so causing fogging, the mesh shouldn't be a problem. The fact that you were wearing a helmet or cap may be a problem though, try turning the cap around next time. any sweat being evaporated off your forehead will just cause the goggles to fog up as the cap isn't letting it escape, try wearing it backwards or using something else like a bandanna or something.
    I wear a bandanna and wear a baseball cap backwards. the bandanna protects my ears and stops my hair from causing any further fogging and the baseball cap, honestly is just for looks really. just something to look into.
    Also a side on the mesh, if you think they will help I personally would give them a try, airsoft is trial and error and the stories you hear of people's mesh breaking could happen to proper clear lensed goggles too (ideally we should replace goggles after each BB strike, but let's face it no one is going to do that).

Hope some of these help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Eye and face protection is one of the most important (if not the most important) things in airsoft. The only prerequisite for playing airsoft is suitable eye protection. The rest is completely ancillary and entirely up to yourself and personal preferences etc.

As far as eye protection is concerned, there are an awful lot of things that you need to consider...but realistically it all boils down to how you're going to be playing. If you're going to be in heavy engagements (such as CQB), then the more protection (e.g. full seal goggles etc) you have the better! However, if it's slower paced and more open play such as MilSim, or restricted ammo/mags then the risk level is significantly lower, and using the likes of shooting glasses become far more practical.

Remember that there is a huge difference between fogging up, and condensation. Fogging up can be stopped via anti-fog. Redbarn's anti-fog is one of the best I've ever used, but even that can't stop you sweating all over your goggles/glasses. Something to consider is camo-cream - apparently it helps stop you sweating as much, though I'm not sure how it accomplishes this...I just remember Masada bringing it up on one of these topics, and that guy is literally a plethora of knowledge!

As you're playing, you get warmer - your head heats up, and that heat radiates. This heats the air between you and the goggles, creating the temperature differential which causes the goggles to fog. If you keep moving, the air is cycling through constantly, hence why you don't typically fog up until you stop moving. If you cover your forehead, mouth, neck etc then you are limiting the places where your body can successfully vent off the excess heat, and so the area around your eyes and nose becomes prime candidate, not to mention the heat radiating from a piece of sweaty neoprene :D

Some things are more prone to fogging than others, with full seal goggles being the worst offender. They are however the safest, and thus begins the trade offs. Are you willing to accept more risk, for less fog? If so then look into shooting glasses (ESS ICE are particularly nice...if you pardon that rudimentary rhyme), or Mesh eye goggles/glasses. Personally I'm not a fan of mesh. I wear it the odd time, when necessary, but I would prefer to be in full seal goggles/glasses. Sometimes that's just not possible, be it equipment failure, temperature (e.g. humidity), or type of game rendering the alternative eye-pro useless.

The other side of things is to look at what you're going to be wearing the eye protection with. Are you going to use a lower face guard, such as the typical TMC mesh masks, or are you going to go for the likes of neoprene, scarves or even the newer plastic type? If so you have to take that into account for comfort, as well as overall articulation. One of the most irritating and uncomfortable experiences I have ever had the displeasure of was crawling through a ditch uphill in MAC's old site with a large lower face guard, and Trackers - my neck and nose was killing me afterward. But you live n' learn.

Personally I use Bollé raiders when playing in more open field settings, as they're wrap-around shooting glasses with optional elasticated band, as well as optional rubber/foam seal (depending on the day). However, when playing CQB, especially indoors, it's straight for the Bollé X1000's. I'd also use a lower mesh mask...because I'm a self-admitted wuss; I don't like being shot in the face.

It's all swings and roundabouts. Some items do a particular thing very well...but I would always recommend going straight for something fit for purpose. It means you'll have a couple of different pairs of eye pro and face pro, but ultimately it means you're safe, comfortable and competitive.

Jesus H Christ this post ended up a lot longer than I intended...sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Oh Dave this is my problem too, I have shooting glasses...these fog and condense and offer little side protection. I have bolle wrap arounds that offer great protection but fog like crazy. I have a full face mesh predator fellow that solves the fogging but everything is dark and there is the bb shatter risk (something I have never seen having taken many Bb to the mesh) currently waiting ona set of ess fan goggles that are supposed to be fog proof and great protection getting clones first as the real thing is really expensive. A lot of my problem is not fog persay but the condensation that clouds the view, antifog does nothing for this but I hope the active fan helps.

Btw heading to hilltop on Sunday if you fancy meeting up, would like to see the tm pistol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

My answer to these threads is always; Bolle X800's....they have never fogged on me, there's a slight gap all around the lens for airflow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks lads. The nice folks at Redbarn did try and sort me out by making me wash the glasses with soapy water, drying them and using anti fog. This worked for a while but I'm a very sweaty individual and the condensation really built up so it was streaming down the inside of the lenses. I tried camping in the one position for a while to see if this would help me cool down and reduce the condensation but no joy. I was having a great time but got seriously frustrated with the fogging/condensation at times.

While Redbarn encourage full face protection, there were a lot of guys not covering their mouths and even though they had the same Bolle Viper glasses I use, they had no issue with fogging which is why I was convinced it was the mesh mouth mask causing the problem.

Perhaps I could try wearing a UBACS shirt instead of my usual BDU and also leaving off the tac vest to see if this helps with body cooling. Ok so I'll get more hits without the tac vest but if it keeps me cool, then it's a trade of worth considering.

I could look into getting another pair of glasses but I'm not sure if I'd like goggles as they'd be sure to fog up on me. Might drop into Hobby in the morning to see what they have in stock. I got my current Bolle glasses there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement