Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbaptised or Debaptised Ceremonies.

Options
  • 17-09-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm researching a piece on the ceremony of "unbaptising" or "debaptising". It's a ceremony whereby ex-Christians walk under a hairdryer to "dry off the baptismal waters" from their heads. So far I can only find American humanist/atheist groups performing it but does anyone know of the ceremony ever taking place in Ireland. I'd love to get in contact with someone who has been debaptised. Here's a video of the ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAo_rEgR4xU

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm researching a piece on the ceremony of "unbaptising" or "debaptising". It's a ceremony whereby ex-Christians walk under a hairdryer to "dry off the baptismal waters" from their heads. So far I can only find American humanist/atheist groups performing it but does anyone know of the ceremony ever taking place in Ireland. I'd love to get in contact with someone who has been debaptised. Here's a video of the ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAo_rEgR4xU

Surely a pisstake, the only ones who can unbaptise you officially are the church i would have thought and they went and made that impossible to do recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I use a hairdryer every morning. I must be like a super atheist or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    the only ones who can unbaptise you officially are the church i would have thought and they went and made that impossible to do recently.

Really? If you didn't consent to it in the first place, it is surely immaterial. If my parents baptised me in a ceremony in the name of Baal, would they then be the only ones who could 'unbaptise' me?

Or are you like Beansidhe who'd like her name erased from the baptismal register for reasons of historical accuracy? In which case, it can't be done.

Remember the Mormons will baptise you posthumously anyway. :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really? If you didn't consent to it in the first place, it is surely immaterial. If my parents baptised me in a ceremony in the name of Baal, would they then be the only ones who could 'unbaptise' me?

Or are you like Beansidhe who'd like her name erased from the baptismal register for reasons of historical accuracy? In which case, it can't be done.

Remember the Mormons will baptise you posthumously anyway. :rolleyes:

It's a pretty pointless exercise to "unbaptise" yourself if you're still on the church's records as a member of the congregation regardless imo. It's immaterial to me that i've been baptised of course but I'm still a member of the congregation in the eyes of the church.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Big thread about this already on front page!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056750365

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement